Brew with flavored water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichInLesta

Reaction score
Has anyone attempted to make fruit-flavored beer by starting with flavored water? I've read a number of articles and posts, most of which say it's pretty difficult to make certain flavors of beer (such as lime) and I started wondering if it was possible to make--for example--raspberry flavored beer beginning with raspberry flavored water. Would the flavor get lost in the other ingredients? change the chemistry? etc. Just wondering mostly...

If I were going to attempt a fruit beer, I would most certainly add real fruit to a secondary after fermentation is complete.

Yeah, even if you made your own naturally-flavored water, I think the flavor, if it didn't boil off, would be lost in primary. I would look to add flavor in secondary or at bottling.

I have had good luck adding fruit to primary after heating it in a small amount of water to 160F and letting it cool in a closed container. Heating it to 160 kills the microbes and is not hot enough to destroy the fruit flavor.

Back