Soaking in Oxyclean

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murppie

Reaction score
I've seen several people talking about using Oxyclean on here before. I have two questions.
1) Is it just commercial Oxyclean or do I need some special kind?
2) How long do I soak stuff in it?

I usually use starsan as a sanitizer but some of my equipment is starting to look a little colored and I thought this might be beneficial.

Consumer unscented Oxyclean. I pick up a tub at Wally World for cheap $$.

I cleaned a totally crudded up carboy just yesterday. Dumped in two tablespoons of Oxy, filled it to the top with hot tap water, let it sit undisturbed for around 90 minutes, and all the crud was sitting on the bottom. A thorough rinse with hot water followed by swirling a couple of cups of standard Star San solution and that carboy was squeaky clean inside and out.

I haven't used a carboy brush since I started the above regimen. And at the rate I'm using it, that tub of Oxy will last a couple of years...

Cheers!

I once had a large tub of bottles soaking in Oxyclean in order to get the labels off. For some reason I let these go for over a week and upon rinsing the bottles I found a white film that just would not go away regardless of thr rinsing. Fortunately a member of this forum told me to soak the bottles for 15 minutes in Starsan and this easily removed any dried on flim from the oxyclean.

2 table spoons for a 5 gallon carboy?? wow. i've been using way too much. good to know

msa8967 said:
I once had a large tub of bottles soaking in Oxyclean in order to get the labels off. For some reason I let these go for over a week and upon rinsing the bottles I found a white film that just would not go away regardless of thr rinsing. Fortunately a member of this forum told me to soak the bottles for 15 minutes in Starsan and this easily removed any dried on flim from the oxyclean.

The key to oxy clean is to keep it hot or warm when it is allowed to go cold the film starts. I delable bottles in a 150 quart cooler it stays hot for a while.

2 table spoons for a 5 gallon carboy?? wow. i've been using way too much. good to know

Actually, a 6.5 gallon carboy. And yes, just the two tablespoons dumped in, then fill to the rim with hot tap water. It's actually amazingly effective stuff - damned near witchcraft - when you see it in action.

The white film mentioned is probably precipitated carbonates, which will vary depending on the water supply as well as how cold the solution becomes over time. I've never had to let a carboy soak more than a couple of hours so the Oxy stays pretty warm which probably keeps stuff from falling out of solution...

Cheers!

I usually use starsan as a sanitizer but some of my equipment is starting to look a little colored and I thought this might be beneficial.

to make it obvious just incase it wasnt- you should still be using starsan to sanitize, oxiclean is not meant to replace it.

I use idophor. Easier on my hands and no foam. The foam is a pain! Be sure to give it two minutes to sanitize.

Yes, oxy-clean is basically the same thing as one-step. While not quite identical, they can perform the same function.

Latest posts

Back