does this mean the temperature is too cold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackls1ttop

Reaction score
hello just got the haier kegorater, did the modification to the temp unit, on the coldest setting i can get it to 29 degrees but thats too cold, now after so many turns of this unpredictable knob i got it to 37 degrees. these measurments with a temp probe in water. it has been consistant for 2 days now and i noticed the cup of water is forming a good amount of ice on the top layer of the water, would the beer freeze if i put the keg in there? or will it be ok? also i am thinking of getting those wireless thermometors, would it be a better idea to mount it in the water or let it take the air temprature in the kegorater? thanks for your help guys.

There is ice in the water and the thermometer is telling you it is 37*? That doesn't seem right. Sounds a tad bit cold.

I don't think you want the probe in the water as they have a 3-4 degree variance. If you put the probe in the water, it won't cycle the unit until the water has changed by that amount and to a lesser degree your beer. Having it cycle based on the ambient air temp would mean more frequent cycles but a more consistent beer temp.

I think.

water freezes at 32f or lower.

The ice should NOT be there. Your thermometer is probably off on that side. Don't panic its pretty common...

I have an old 70's kegorator and I had to adjust the knob in 1 direction slowly before I got it right. ALWAYS make the final turn clockwise OR counterclockwise and then I make an arrow or mark so I know where it is/was at. IF you are going 1 way then the other there is probably to much play in the knob/switch (like on mine) to get it to the temp I want by using it "omnidirectional", it literally turns into a guessing game at that point.

Hope this helps! :mug:

There is ice in the water and the thermometer is telling you it is 37*? That doesn't seem right. Sounds a tad bit cold.

I don't think you want the probe in the water as they have a 3-4 degree variance. If you put the probe in the water, it won't cycle the unit until the water has changed by that amount and to a lesser degree your beer. Having it cycle based on the ambient air temp would mean more frequent cycles but a more consistent beer temp.

I think.

+1 on that. It's been a while since I've had chemistry, but last time I checked water doesn't freeze at 37 lol. Beer freezes closer to 28 degrees because of the alcohol, but that's still very cold for serving beer. I have a haier kegerator with a thermostat too. I have a small fan that I keep in it to make sure the air is properly circulated. Hasn't failed me yet!

Beer freezes closer to 28 degrees because of the alcohol

I call shenanigans!!!! lol. I do not think this is true at all. Beer is water, sugar and alcohol. Water freezes at 32f, the sugars are a variable, and alcohol freezes so cold you need not even worry about it...this is why freeze concentrating beer works.

The only reason I point this out is I do not want someones beer to freeze inside a keg/fridge or freezer, not to be a know it all or a jerk...

IMO anything colder than 40f is TO cold...unless it is BMC.

I agree with your stating that it shouldn't be any colder than 40, but google what temperature beer freezes. Everywhere I looked said 28 degrees.

IMO anything colder than 40f is TO cold...unless it is BMC.

I agree, I keep mine at 40-43*....Any colder and flavors are masked. I feel like the 40-43 range is perfect serving temp. Even higher for some beers. That why I love my keg o rator, it's made from a wine fridge, the coldest setting is 40*....Warmest is 55*...

I am not sure why you can freeze concentrate beer now that I think about it, but when you consider the freezing point of beer you have to think about its colligative properties. Beer is not just a mixture of alcohol, water and sugars, it's a homogenous solution. Depending on the amount of solute dissolved in the solvent (in this case, water), it will lower the freezing point.

Someone that did better than me in basic chemistry can probably elaborate, but I agree that the freezing point of beer is lowering than 32F.

I am not sure why you can freeze concentrate beer now that I think about it, but when you consider the freezing point of beer you have to think about its colligative properties. Beer is not just a mixture of alcohol, water and sugars, it's a homogenous solution. Depending on the amount of solute dissolved in the solvent (in this case, water), it will lower the freezing point.

Someone that did better than me in basic chemistry can probably elaborate, but I agree that the freezing point of beer is lowering than 32F.

This will help:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fractional_freezing

thanks alot for the responses guys, but i was just using a kitchen thermometer probe in the water. its not connected to the unit, im still using the factory haier temp control system. as long as i dont open the fridge too much it wont form any ice on the plate, i was shooting for maybe 37 to 38 degrees, and i was looking for a thermometer just so i can see the current temp in the fridge, i dident want to connect the thermometer to the haier temp unit. and my main question was if i should put the thermometer probe in water or leave it in the kegorater to get the temp inside?

Back