Pumpkin Ale Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boltsfan

Reaction score
Plan to brew the Thunderstruck (Yuri) extract recipe this weekend. I read the entire 35 page thread so thanks to everyone (especially Yuri) for all the great info.

Seems consensus is to roast 100% canned pumpkin for 30- 60 minutes (60 minutes is better?) at 350* and let cool. Then add directly to pot for the entire 60 minute boil w\o using a grain bag. Anyone ever add some spices to the pumpkin prior to roasting?

Can I auto siphon the wort from pot to primary or do I really need to strain it? Same question goes for racking from primary to secondary.

Add preferred amount of "tea" to secondary and adjust to taste.

Thanks in advance for any info. :mug:

Adding spices to the pumpkin and then boiling it would likely drive off all flavor and aroma. You can try using the autosiphon but I would secure a paint strainer or muslin bag around the bottom with an elastic band so it doesn't clog on you. It may just be better to strain it or just dump it all in the primary. If you dump it, keep in mind you'll have an immense amount of sediment, at least a gallon if not more.

If You don't have your pumpkin yet you better start looking asap. Google pumpkin shortage and you'll find out why
Look for organic groceries in your area and start calling. Good luck!!

2nd on the shortage of pumpkin, went to 5 stores.

I mashed the pumpkin on mine, still in the primary. But i would think that the grainbag would not hold the pumpkin.

...........and I thought my SWMBO was crazy........

The last few months, for no reason at all, every third grocery trip she would buy a BIG ASSED can of pumpkin.....for pies of course!

No pie.

2 weeks another can.

We have about 5 huge cans of pumpkin at home lol.

Guess I better brew or you all will be pissed at me, lol.

What do I do with all of these frozen pie crusts? Mash them?

I made a variation on Yuri's recipe and it is fermenting right now so I can't comment on how it will turn out, but I wouldn't recommend trying to contain the pumpkin in a grain bag. I tested that out and while there was some left in the bag at the end (10-20%), most of it seeped through during the boil. It just kind of liquifies because there wasn't that much gunk to strain out.

My buddy checked a few chain grocery stores and they were all out of canned pumpkin.

Although, I was able to find plenty of organic canned pumpkin at Henry's Market (San Diego).

I just made a Pumpkin Ale and had to go to 6 stores before I found some. Make sure that you use a considerable amount of Rice Hulls. I used 10oz and still got a stuck sparge.

First post here... I went to Trader Joes this morning looking for canned pumpkin. They didn't have any so I asked. The guy said he thought is was a seasonal item. He checked the computer and it said they'll carry it in Q4. So it may be a case where other markets don't carry it year-round either. I went to Whole Paycheck (Foods) and they did have it, but it was 100% organic pumpkin which might be more than you're looking to pay. They are having a "sale" where a 15oz can was $2.49.

Brewed the Pumpkin Ale with a buddy last night. Followed the recipe almost exactly but we added 1oz of the hops versus 0.75oz and baked the pumpkin for 45 minutes.

Couple of things...

1. There was zero trub at bottom of pot. This seemed odd as everyone had stated there would be a couple of inches of it. We added directly to boil (no bag) for 60 minutes.

2. This is weird... we started with 2.5g of water for the boil. When finished we added 1.5g of water to primary and then poured wort on top and when finished pouring wort in we had a total of 5g of brew (but we only used 4g of water). We topped off with another 1/4g of water.

Tasted hydrometer sample and it tasted slightly sweet with a pumpkin undertone.

OG - 1.060

Back