Leftovers to make a drinkable beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I really, really, really want to brew today! I have very few ingredients (since I'm waiting on an order) but I think I can make a drinkable amber/pale ale with what I have. What do you think?

9 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 82.72 %
8.0 oz Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM) Grain 4.60 %
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 4.60 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 4.60 %
6.0 oz Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 3.49 %
1.00 oz Centennial [9.60 %] (60 min) Hops 31.0 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade (homegrown) [6.30 %] (5 min) Hops 3.7 IBU
1.50 oz Cascade (homegrown) [6.30 %] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -

IBUs 35
OG 1.061
Color 14 SRM

That would work, although I'd probably only use 4 ounces of the Aromatic and leave out the Dextrine malt.

I plan on doing a Kitchen soup type brew soon with a bunch of left over grains and hops. I am going to wing ever thing and not use my Beer Tools program. This will give me a good indication how my gut tells me how much of each ingredient to put in. Hey it will be fun and drinkable may not win an award like my other beers but it will be fun nevertheless.

What does the aromatic add to a brew? I've used it in a Chimay Blue clone but not 100% sure what it does to the final product. I'm going to make a PM version of Orfy's Hobgoblin Clone today and have some extra aromatic as well as Special B laying around. How would that affect my brew?

Aromatic malt gives a pretty intense malty aroma in flavor. From the northernbrewer.com website:

Dingemans Aromatic

19 L. A hybrid Munich malt. At a rate as low as 10% it will lend a distinct, almost exaggerated malt aroma and flavor.

and Special B:
Imparts a dark caramel color. Produces a rich caramel and hint of nut flavor. Commonly used in dark special beers and Abbey style ales. Suggested use 2-10% of grain bill

I actually wanted Munich malt and crystal 60L, and I had only a bit of these specialty grains so I decided to try it. I wanted to do an American Amber, and those Belgian malts don't really "fit" but I wanted the malt flavor.

Back