Ferm Temp when adding sugar to primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schmeek

Reaction score
I'm brewing a saison and would like to dry it out a bit. I heard jamil say it's not wise to put simple sugars in the boil bc the yeast eats those first and you want them going for the maltose first. Anyway, I'm looking to add some sugar to the primary... Maybe secondary? But I've been ramping up the temperature and I'm at 82 ambient temp right now. I fear that if I add the sugar at this temp, additional fermentation will raise the temp even higher and I really don't want that. Should I lower the temp, then add sugar? Will the yeast go dormant on me? I used the saison blend, WLP568. Any advice would be appreciated.

I am not sure there is a perfect answer in your situation. It's possible that adding sugars at 80F+ will create hot/fusel type alcohol flavors. At the same time, reducing the temperature will likely cause some of the yeast to go dormant. Since you're looking for a dry beer, you'll want the most attenuation possible. How much sugar are you adding? What was your OG?

I think adding the sugar before ramping up the temperature would have been your best bet. At this time, I would probably reduce the temperature to the lower temp range of your yeast, then add the sugar, but I wouldn't do this until fermentation looked nearly complete.

Another option might be to forget about adding the sugar. Maybe taste the sample toward the end of fermentation and make your decision based on that perception.

If it's not dry it's not a saison. I think you need to add the sugar. Maybe drop the temp just a couple degrees.

How far along is the fermentation. I know Jamil says to add the late sugar about 50% to 60% of the way through the ferment.

Its on day 6, OG was 1.060. It was a 3.5 gal batch, so 1# of sugar would be right at 10%. I just spoke w my lhbs and he said adding sugar will only add to your FG. He also said that sugar is more complex than malt sugars so I should have added it to the boil in place of some of the malt.

I just spoke w my lhbs and he said adding sugar will only add to your FG. He also said that sugar is more complex than malt sugars so I should have added it to the boil in place of some of the malt.

What? Perhaps there was a misunderstanding. Are you adding something like lactose sugar?

It is exactly the opposite. Maltose (malt sugar) is more complex than simple sugars like sucrose and dextrose. It will increase your ABV, but not your FG.

This is why many Belgian beers and high gravity beers use sugar to dry out the beer, because it lowers the FG leading to a drier taste and a lighter body.

I totally agree with what you just said based on everything I've ever read. He seems kind of old fashioned so maybe he's not up to date on his facts. And I'm adding table sugar like jamil recommends, not lactose or anything. I took a reading today and it was already at 1.009! I figure I'll let it sit for a few more days and add the sugar in the secondary, leaving room for some krausen. Turn the heat off at the same time and hope the room cools as the beer heats up from fermentation.

Back