Good Start to growing season

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottyg354

Plant Based Homebrewer
Reaction score
Now if I could only remember if this vibe is the Zeus or Mt. Hood hops. Lol

image-3354051325.jpg

Technically, they are referred to as "bines". I don't know why but I'm sure there's a reason.

Looking good!

We've had so many freezes / snow in CO, I've had to move my new hops inside and out in pots. My old bines have just froze back, then re-grew. Year 2, I am looking forward to more hops than I got in Y1.

We've had so many freezes / snow in CO, I've had to move my new hops inside and out in pots. My old bines have just froze back, then re-grew. Year 2, I am looking forward to more hops than I got in Y1.

If you can, put them in the ground. Mine have no issues with the snow. Hops are super Hardy.

This is a second year plant. I am actually pretty impressed. Last year the "bines...lol" only grew to about two feet. It's may here and they have already surpassed that. We've had a pretty decent spring. I already have my peppers and tomatoes in the ground as well. (I am in Northeast PA).

My 2nd year hops are out of reach over my head now.... If South Carolina is good for one thing, it's growing crops.

The difference in growth between 1st and 2nd year is pretty significant, huh?

My 2nd year hops are out of reach over my head now.... If South Carolina is good for one thing, it's growing crops.

The difference in growth between 1st and 2nd year is pretty significant, huh?

Definetely is. I don't think mine got past 3' when I planted them last year.

In the UK mine are doing amazing, they have both breached the 7 foot mark already! I'm so looking forward to the harvest, a half ton of Fuggles and Goldings are coming my way :D

If I remember correctly, which is a bit of a crap shoot to be honest, a vine uses its arms or offshoots or whatever to climb. A bine twists itself to climb. That's why you train the bine. Something like that, eh?

If I remember correctly, which is a bit of a crap shoot to be honest, a vine uses its arms or offshoots or whatever to climb. A bine twists itself to climb. That's why you train the bine. Something like that, eh?

From Wikipedia: A bine is a climbing plant which climbs by its shoots growing in a helix around a support. It is distinct from a vine, which climbs using tendrils or suckers.

So yeah, you got it. Thanks for pointing that out.

Back