Dandelion Honey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lpsumo

Reaction score
Hi all

I purchased some dandelion honey recently and have no idea what to do with it.
Should it be made into a traditional mead to bring out its flavour? Used like any other honey because it's not that special? Or put on toast because dandelion honey makes bad mead?

All input welcome

I would at first say make some dandelion mead but dandelions are not really in season this time of year and I can never find bulk dried dandelion flowers. It seems the leaves off of dandelions have some supplimental factor but never looked into it. I still think you should make a Metheglin (Herb mead) of some sort since you have this nice herb type verietal. What about a hibiscus mead? Something like:

1 gallon

2oz dried Hibiscus
3 lb Dandelion honey
Juice from half of a lemon
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1 tsp yeast energizer
1 pkg Red Star Cote des Blancs yeast

I dont think any honey is bad at making meads unless you have a really pungent buckwheat honey. But even that honey has it's place in the right circumstance. However I don't know if dandelion honey will make the best traditional.

Thanks for the suggestion! It sounds like a good one.

I have d47 and K1-V1116, would either of those make an ok substitute for the yeast you mentioned?

both are great yeasts. If you can controle your fermenting tempurature to be below 68*F constantly then go with D47. Otherwise I say the 1116. With the D47 after fermentation is done don't rack it immediatley. Let it sit in primary 3 - 4 months and then rack to secondary. Sitting on D47 Lees gives an almost fruity or citrousy character to the mead. I really enjoyed that fact with My Spiced Chai Metheglin. 1116 is nice because it saves the aroma well due to a nice slow ferment.

About to start this one. Scaling it up to a 3 gal batch

Does that mean I should put 3t of nutrient and energizer?

If I put in more nutrient than the yeast can consume, will the leftovers effect the mead at all?

I might have been a little high on the energizer additions but just being Hibiscus, honey and a little lemon this must might be low on the nutrients naturally. 3tsp of yeast nutrient for sure and 1.5 - 3 tsp of energizer should be fine. I like to add some of the energizer up front and split the rest over 3 additions within 3 days or up to the 1/3 sugar break point.

And yess too much nutrient and that can cause some funky flavors. But what is above will not hurt you.

Back