Lambic + Crystal 40 will it eat it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeSinge

Reaction score
Got a Kriek Lambic with a little more aceto/lacto sharpness than I would like.
I was thinking of dosing it with a strong Crystal 40 wort to give it some sweetness and backbone to balance the sour/vinegar/tartness.
Question: will the bugs eat through the C40? ...or will it be unfermentable like with sach?

Bugs will eat just about anything given time in my experience. What you can do is kill the bugs with either heat or chemicals (metabisulfite) and then blend with a sweeter beer to balance the acidity.

Like Mike said, blending will be your best bet.

Brettanomyces alone is known to ferment chains of sugars 9-chains long. Normal brewers yeast will only ferment up to maltotriose (aka 3-chain sugars). I don't know off hand the type of sugars that C40 will produce, but I'll bet it's less than 9-chains.

C-40 will ferment almost completely out, given time. I *have* had luck with very dark homemade candi syrup adding unfermentable sweetness to a couple of sours (this is also how Faro is made, though that's normally blended and served immediately) but you probably don't want to go that route with a kriek.

Back