Saison fermentation time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcmillb1

Reaction score
I brewed my highest gravity all grain beer last Sunday (Christmas Saison, OG 1.072, just my third all grain to date), and vigorous bubbling started within twelve hours.

It's been bubbling away very actively (every minute or so) ever since, even today on the eight day of fermentation.

I used a starter and know there's a ton of sugar in there, but, can't believe it's still bubbling so much.

I'm sure I'm just overreacting, but, this long continued action is most decidedly GOOD, right?

I ask because I just wondered if I might have under pitched or something strange...just shuddup and relax, right? :)

The same thing happened to my Saison I made this summer!! It continued to bubble even after 2 weeks in the secondary (with one week in primary). I gave it another week and a half before the bubbling subsided. Saison yeast definitely acts differently than most other strains I have used. But hey long attenuation is a good thing!!

Yeah, I've been keeping it as warm as possible, though, I can only get into the mid-high 70s.

With temperatures dropping in Ohio of late, I've even stashed my bucket under a low hanging flood light on our kitchen island to warm it up, too, and it just happily bubbles away! :)

I assume I'll ferment for at least 3 weeks in this vessel (maybe 4?) - and would then go straight to bottle.

Just keep an eye on it and you'll be fine. Once the top of the wort has no visible bubbles you should be ok to bottle--at least that's what i did.

Which Saison yeast did you use? I found that Wyeast 3711 tends to get done quick vs WLP 565 which also works great but takes a little longer to finish out. Both are great strains but work a little different. I usually let the 565 go for a month then bottle/keg. Pitch rate and temps are the key to a good saison. I tend to ramp up the temps into the 80s and keep them up there for most of the initial fermentation usually for a few weeks.

beerloaf

I used Wyeast 3726 farmhouse ale yeast.

The Temperature Range for this one was 70 - 95 degrees. I was storing in my hot garage (liquid temps were only running in the high 70's) during hot summer days, but, it's gotten decidedly cooler the past few days. I looked into the Brew Belt, and they only said I'd get 70 - 75 degrees max (and 80 is about what my garage was running), so, I passed on purchasing it.

How else could I increase the heat w/o a temperature controlled unit of any kind? (and the follow up would have to be what kind of temperature controlled unit + device would I want in the future to get 85 / 90 degree fermentations?)

Pitch rate and temps are the key to a good saison.

So true.
My first crack at a saison with 3724, I severely underpitched, and even though I ramped the temp up to 90, it took 8 weeks to finish and was filled with flaws (in my opinion).
My most recent attempt, I actually pitched a proper amount of yeast into well oxygenated wort at 70F. I ramped 3F per day to 90, and it was done in 2 weeks. 1.068 to 1.003. And it tastes like heaven.

Many people have reported good success with wrapping the fermentor in an electric blanket, or creating a water bath and heating that with an aquarium heater.

Many people have reported good success with wrapping the fermentor in an electric blanket, or creating a water bath and heating that with an aquarium heater.

+1
The electric blanket is the better of the two if you want to get real warm. I got one for like $25 on clearance at walmart at the beginning of summer, and it's worked great. My aquarium heater is ok but can only get the water bath up to 75 or so, depending on ambient temp, and of course there's better aquarium heaters you could try...

I wrapped my Saison in black plastic and left it outside in 95 degree heat. It fermented happily at 100 degrees :mug:

I used 3724 should have made a starter, but ramped it up to from 65 to 105+ over a month. I had two aquarium heaters laying around and used both in the bucket. I definatly want to try again with a proper starter. I could only get it down to .010 which wasnt it dry enough but works for the recipe

ForumRunner_20120919_002736.jpg

What kind of temperatures does an electric blanket get up to, and, what would that translate to in a plastic bucket fermenter? What about a heating pad or an electric aquarium option?

Just curious if there's a big temp swing: e.g., the heater of choice goes to 95 degrees, but, the bucket absorbs / deflects part of that (it's pretty thick), so, it only goes up to 85 or something...

Back