Just Starting out, any advice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KMKsuburbannoise

Reaction score
I got a kit this past weekend. It has everything I need with the exception of a pot. So, I bought the smaller pot to start with.

I bought the Brewers Best Dunkelweizen kit.

I got all my stuff and Brew and Grow in Chicago.

The owner of the place set us up with everything. The Kit, the beer kit, the pot, etc.

Any advice as I start my first batch. I was told to just follow the directions on the first few batches to get the hang of it.

My ultimate goal is to make an original honey wheat beer, but i'm stickin with a kit for now.

Make sure you read the instructions thoroughly first. Also the key to good beer is fermentation temps. Once you have pitched the yeast try and keep within the manufacturers recommended temperature range.

+1 to the above. The most important things I learned as a new brewer are: 1. Control fermentation temperatures. 2. Leave a beer in the primary for 3 weeks.... the silly 1-2-3 rule of thumb is stupid. 3. PATIENCE! If you build a pipeline, this gets MUCH easier.

The thing that helped me the most when I was getting started was reading these boards. I learned so much from reading all of the posts that I felt totally comfortable making the jump from extract to all-grain. There are a lot of wise individuals with lots of experience.

Make sure to also check out all of the stickies at the top of this area, especially the "Have I ruined my beer", "pro/con analysis", and "fermentation can take 24 to 72 hours" stickies! Revvy also has a great bottling thread that is really handy when you bottle your beer!

Back