Possible mash tun / boil kettle. Please look and give me your opinion.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

josiahcox

Reaction score
So while looking through the boneyard at my work I cam across this beast just sitting there all lonely. Pics are on my FB page.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2037968&id=1400814600

I can buy it for the cost of scrap from my employer. My question is about those welds for the handles and how well I am going to be able to clean and sanitize the ports at the bottom.

I have no clue about welds other than I know you don't want food or beverage around some of them.

The other main concern is can I get it clean and sanitised. I think there may be a little bit light surface rust and those welds scare me a bit.

Feeback please!?! :confused:

First off let me say that I'm uber sanitary and kinda picky about it. But the truth is that anything pre-boil wouldn't kill your beer. Boiling is going to nuke off any bacteria. The welds become an issue in fermenters because the beer is in there aging and the yeast are having yeast sex and the bacteria will join the party :( If your burner fits under that there is absolutely no reason that can't be used as a boil kettle. Keep in mind a quality SS pot of that size would cost a small fortune so lowball the hell out of the guy and go for it IMO.

Looks like a home made brew kettle.. not pretty, but if it holds water, then go for it! I wouldn't worry about the welds, as cvstrat said, its going to be boiled, so it doesn't matter.

I can get it for the cost of scrap. It's 50lbs.
:D
Anybody know the price of stainless scrap right now?
Hopefully they will let it go for a little less since I am a good employee. ;)

So it looks like I can probably get this for $50. I'm still a bit worried about the little bit of rust around the top but I can probably deal with it.

Okay, I have more info now and need more help.

I found out that it came out of a GP plant originally so who know what was in it before. Could have been water could have been caustic chemicals, I don't know.

So....... is it safe? Would you use it?
The price is right ($50) but I have no idea if I should even consider it. Can stainless absorb chemicals at all? I'm out of my knowledge bubble here. Anybody have any exp in this area?
Thanks for the help.

Anybody out there know about chemicals and steel? I don't want to use it if it is going to make people sick? :confused:

+1 Get it

SS does not hold on to anything in it as long as it's cleaned well before you brew you should be OK.

Back