Drop in fermentation tempature.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zach1288

Reaction score
Yestersay it was very cold and when I got home from work my fermenter dropped to about 60F. I then moved the fermenter into a warmer room. Do you think the 12 hour change in tempature could have made the yeast go dormant? The yeast is White Labs Cali, I believe it's tempature range is 65-73.

No worries. If they did go dormant, they'll wake right back up once warmed. Most typically ferment that yeast on the low end anyway - I prefer 60 ambient.

How accurate are the stick-on thermometers? That is the number I was referring too.

I've never used one, but they're generally fairly accurate. Again, I think you'll be pleased with your results. Many people ferment this on the low end of the range, or even below. I suspect you'll have no issues and a very clean flavor profile with full attenuation.

I've never used one, but they're generally fairly accurate. Again, I think you'll be pleased with your results. Many people ferment this on the low end of the range, or even below. I suspect you'll have no issues and a very clean flavor profile with full attenuation.

This is why I typically ferment most of my ale yeasts at about 60. Recently did a cream ale with White Labs cream ale blend. The reccommended low end was 65. I did 60, got full attenuation and the beer turned out excellent.

Back