Any reason the CO2 needs to be in fridge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DG Paul

Reaction score
Sorry to ask, but I haven't really found a clear answer searching through the forum, though I think this setup will be okay. I am gearing up to do draft beer with two 2.5 gallon kegs and a dual tower faucet. I have my beer fridge which will hold the kegs and some of my regular bottles. I want to store the CO2 bottle behind the fridge in a storage room (drilling holes through the wall and fridge for the gas line). Is there any reason not to set it up this way besides not wanting to drill the holes?

It seems to me the kegs need to be at serving temp, but the gas providing serving pressure will have little or no effect on the beer. I really don't want to lose space in the fridge to the CO2 bottle.

As I said, I think I am fine, but want to fall back on your collective wisdom. Thanks.:mug:

Only reason for it being in the fridge is astetics (so you dont have to look at it) and so you don't have to drill a hole in your fridge.

Keeping it outside the fridge actually makes it easier, I think. You can more easily change pressure settings for two reasons:

It's more accessible - no sticking your head in the fridge to read the gauge.

The regulator responds more quickly and reads accurately almost immediately. It's really easy to overshoot your target pressure with a cold regulator (the rubber diaphragm inside gets stiff, so it doesn't respond as well to change).

I have the Sanyo 4912 and have decided to put mine inside. There's a small lip for it to set on and the 2 cornies hold it up there.

I was thinking about some kind of loop to hold the top up when the cornies are removed.

Also the inside door shelving is still in place...holds a couple pint glasses for guests.;)

Mine was inside the kegger & I got tired of having to remove three of the kegs to change out the tank. So, I drilled the wall and keep it outside now.

I could probably squeeze a fifth keg in there.

I have a small wine fridge. check my gallery. I sue a 20lb bottle so I have a quick release gas attachment on the back of the fridge, and the bottle elsewhere.

Be careful when drilling that you are going through an area with no coolant lines!

Thanks for the confirmation. I have made sure where the coolant lines are so I should be okay there. I also like the thought of the CO2 being in a more secure (lockable) room away from my curious children.

Just waiting for my regulator to arrive to get going.:ban:

haha I guess that would mean the beer tap room is o.k. for the kids to play (drink) in there? :ban:
too funny.

Back