Yeast not activated

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

discslinger

Reaction score
I made my 2nd batch of brew this weekend and accidentally pitched in the wyeast without slapping the packet to activate the yeast. Will my wort still ferment? Do I need to throw in another packet if I don't see any fermentation in another day(It's been about 18 hrs)? Any suggestions?

I would say to wait a few days, it should take off... but it might take a little longer since you didn't hit the activator pack.

What kind of discs do you sling?

Golf discs. I like to chunk around frisbees after/while enjoying a good homebrew. I've met several disc golfers who homebrew and got me inspired.

As for the yeast, I figure it will probably just take a little longer to ferment but wasn't sure if someone had heard of someone making the same mistake.

Hey,

I just wanted to make sure . . . did you ever actually break the yeast pouch in the smackpack? If not, then you probably pitched a bit of yeast-less wort packaged in the outer, bigger part of the smackpack. The small, inner pouch contains the yeast, so if was never broken, then I don't think you pitched anything but a bit of wort. The reason you smack it is to break the yeast pouch & mix it with the bit of wort in there.

Hey,

I just wanted to make sure . . . did you ever actually break the yeast pouch in the smackpack? If not, then you probably pitched a bit of yeast-less wort packaged in the outer, bigger part of the smackpack. The small, inner pouch contains the yeast, so if was never broken, then I don't think you pitched anything but a bit of wort. The reason you smack it is to break the yeast pouch & mix it with the bit of wort in there.

I am fairly certain the pouch that is broken contains the yeast nutrient and not the other way around. Therefore if you pitch without breaking, the yeast will still leave the container.

Back