Low Cost Cooling Tank.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cakehole

Reaction score
After reading a bunch of posts about using different methods to keep fermenting products cool, I decided to use a few things I had around the garage and make a cooling tub for less than $20. Note, cost will be more if you do not have the plastic tubs.

One more thing, I took these pictures after I built the cooler. Of course I was not thinking about step by step pictures as I was making it.

I took 2 of the empty plastic tubs and stacked them together. I figured that having 2 tubs would keep the isulation from getting wet from any condensation. I know I live in New Mexico with a relative humidity below 20% all the time, but I figured better safe than soggy.

Here is a pic of the tub I am talking about. Please forgive me about the BGE on cinderblocks, working on building a table, just taking longer than I thought..

STP60257.JPG

I wrapped the tub with some of that pink insulation. I got the roll at Home Depot for about $13. I used duck tape to fasten it to the tub.

STP60260.JPG

I grabbed a partial sheet of foam insulation at HD for $5 and cut it out to make a lid. I cut a single hole in the lid to let my airlock poke through.

STP60259.JPG

So, total cost was $18 because I had 2 plastic tubs in the garage allready.

Fill with cool water until your carboy almost wants to float and add your ice bottles. My water temp from the hose is about 83 degrees. It did take about 8, 20-ounce ice bottles to cool below 70 degrees. After the initial cooling, I only use 2 or 3 ice bottles a day n ow.

Here is the final product:

STP60261.JPG

So, does it work?

Here is a pic of the digital thermometer I have in the water. Holding rock steady at 63 degrees. Note the cool, liquid-free airlock. I grabbed a couple from Midwest ( I think ) because I figured that having to remember to keep the airlock full of liquid during a long ferment would be beyond my feeble mind. It seems to work perfectly for a slow fermenting product like Apfelwein.

STP60256.JPG

This thing might work too well. I am using frozen Coke plastic bottles, 20 ouncers, to keep things cool.

Average daytime temps are in the 95-100 degree range. I use one ice bottle in the am, one around 1400 and a third right before bed.

I am having issues keeping the temp above 63 degrees. Yes, you read correctly. The issue is this thing is almost too cool for good fermentation. I have 5 gallons of Apfelwein in the tub now, slowly bubbling away.

You just HAAAAAD to show off the BGE didn't you. This thread is useless now. Who cares about a blue cooling tub where'd ya' get that egg? :drunk:

I got the egg from Patio and Hearth in Albuquerque. Of course I had to get a few eggcessories ( plate setter, pizza stone, cast iron grate, ash tool, v-rack for ribs, and a bag of BGE charcoal).

simply the best grill/smoker out there, in my opinion.

Did some ribs and they were perfect, did a bunch of chicken, it was perfect. I havea beef brisket in the wings waiting for a free day so it can spend 18 to 20 hours getting to know the BGE.

Just bustin your chops. I priced them local and I just can;t pony up the pennies. Spent nearly $600.00 on propane grill 10 years ago and the damned thing limps like hell but just wont die.

My BGE package was right at $800 for everything and I still need to get the table built. They are expensive but worth every penny. I wish there was an Eggfest in Albuquerque. It would have saved me a couple of hundred bucks, but it was deployment money so I figured it was a good excuse to spend the extra.

This cooler is on my back porch on the North side of my house. Right outside under an awning. It gets morning sun, and is shaded in the pm. So far Albuquerque temps have been around 95-100 degrees and I am easily keeping temps in the bath at 63ish degrees.

good idea, my ferments are on the warm side, low 70's - doesn't seem to hurt

Oh I saw the thread about Cakehole comming back from the service, good job keeping your head down and comming home safe. Thanks for your service

That's a great mod!!!!

Someone awhile back was going to take 2 of the bins, put one inside the other and shoot canned insulation into the gap....your way may even be easier and cheaper...

I'm prosting this thread!!!

Latest posts

Back