Mosaic hops use ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stoneyts

Reaction score
I've brewed a Citra pale ale that had 2oz of Magnum hops added at the beginning of the boil and then Citra added at 1/2 oz at a time starting at 20 mins left and done every 5 minutes till the end and 1oz at flame out. I have 3oz of Mosaic to dry hop this beer with. My question is this... What would the difference be if I add all 3oz to the batch at once or adding 1oz at intervals of 5-7 days apart for a 3 week span? Also how long would y'all wait after the last addition if using the 2nd option to bottle? I really love hoppy beers and recently found Sculpin. Will this seem to be similar? It was an extract kit with 8oz ea of the following grains steeped before boil 10L crystal ; 20L crystal ; Victory and CaraMunich. There was also 7lbs of light dry maly extract used.

All suggestions welcome. I brewed this on 2/10 and it is in the primary (bucket) for now. I plan to move it to a secondary (carboy) to do the dry hopping. A big reason for the move is to help clear the beer up since I forgot to add the Irish moss near the end of the boil. It would probably be easier to dry hop into the bucket but I would like to clear it up a bit as well. Thanks for any input in advance!!!!

Hey stoneyts,

This is a great question, and one that I think you could get 100 different answers from 50 different brewers - but I'll share my $0.02! I personally think that adding all 3oz at once, and racking off after 5-7 days will provide the biggest hop "punch", and will also keep the beer tasting its freshest. Having a Pale Ale age for 3 weeks in secondary is a little long IMHO.

I have added different dry hops at different intervals before as an experiment, but they were different hops. I brewed 10 gallons and added 2oz Citra / 1oz Sorachi Ace all at once to five gallons (for 6 days), while adding the 2oz Citra for three days, then 1oz Sorachi Ace for another three days to the other five gallons (total of 6 days). I liked the first 5 gallons better, but couldn't notice a huge difference to be honest. If you were to add an ounce every two days for 6 days that might be a good schedule, but carrying the secondary on for 3 weeks on a Pale Ale is a little long. Just my thoughts though...I'm interested to see what everyone else thinks! Again, great question stoneyts...

Cheers!

I know new Belgium uses them in their soon to be released iipa. I'll trade ya for some sculpin!

tgmartin000, if you were in my neighborhood I would probably go out and get some just to trade you! Sculpin is AMAZING !!!!

I agree with Jipper that you should add all the hops at once. Adding them on a schedule would just decrease the amount of aroma you get from them, which you could probably achieve by adding 2oz at the beginning instead of 3oz. The other thing that could happen is that dry hopping closer to when you bottle could give you more of a grassy taste, which you may or may not enjoy. This is all assuming that you bottle the usual 7 days after you begin dry hopping. If you wait closer to 3 weeks, they would be hard to distinguish one from the other, in which case the single addition would just be easier.

Thanks for the input! I'm wondering now ,how would it be if I had used the mosaic in the boil and the Citra to dry hop following the same steps? Might have to try that some time!

stoneyts,

Good question. That's what makes homebrewing as fun as it is! You can experiment until you've found the perfect combination. In our Concord showroom, we currently have 2oz of Mosaic in one wine glass, and 2oz of Citra in another. To be honest Citra smells like the better hop to me, so using that as your dry hop next time might make more sense. That being said, everyone has different opinions so it will really depend on what you like (as with everything else brewing related...)

Hint Hint...Mosaic is on the way at morebeer.com...keep an eye out!

Cheers!

Back