Importance of the water you use

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glaurung30

Reaction score
What kind of water is everyone using? Most of my batches I've been cheap and used tap water that I have just boiled but I think that maybe one of my big problems at to why my beer's aren't turning out better. The one beer that I did use spring water in gallon jugs...it really was great.

What is your experience with different water?

It's totally dependent on your local water supply. In general, if your tap water tastes good, it is good enough to brew with. You can run it through a carbon filter or use campden tablets to remove chlorine. If you want to get more into water chemistry you can send off for a water sample. I sent a water sample to ward labs for about $20 to find out composition of my water. Turns out it's pretty good so I just run it through a carbon filter and use it for most of my beers.

ah okay. I have been running my water through my brita filter. It's "city" water but it doesn't have any bad flavor.

I've only done three brews so far and I've used tap water with a precautionary campden tablet added (actually only part of a tablet, crushed). The water round here is fairly hard and not entirely dissimilar to Burton water, so that's fine for pale ales, my favourite style. The beer's great.

If I want to brew with something softer then I've discovered I can buy RO water very cheaply from the local aquatics shop, so I can use that to dilute the tap water.

I get mine directly out of the sand filtered Ossipee Aquafer in the Ossipee Pine Barrens.

My tap water worked well when I was doing extract batches. Now that I am doing all grain I have found that some beers turn out pretty good and some are only ok. My IPA's just dont have the kind of hop profile that i am looking for no matter what I do. My dark beers just don't have the malt and roast flavor that I am looking for.

As mind numbing as it is, if you do all grain you will probably have to venture into brewing water chemistry to be able to consistently make great beers. You will definitely want to read the Brewing Water Primer in the Brewing Science section of this website. Very helpful and great information. There are a couple of water chemists on this site that are super helpful with water chemistry issues.

Yes, if your tap water tastes good, then brewing extract with it is no problem. If you don't like the taste of your tap water, then go get something else, but you don't have to really do anything for water chemistry.

All grain is another matter altogether. You'll probably make decent beer with whatever comes from your tap (again, assuming it tastes alright), but to make the best beer you can, you'll probably have to pay some attention (but not necessarily a lot) to your specific water profile.

hmm. I've used Reverse Osmosis water for most of my batches on account of a "soft" taste from my first few batches. I've used tap water since, and the beers have been fine though... The whole water chemistry thing and getting my water tested seems like it's a bit over my head.

the big question is are you doing all grain or extract. In my experience you can use most anything for extract, but all grain needs a little work.

I was getting some flavors that I just attributed to extract 'twang' while brewing from my tap water. I had done 3 batches and they all had it. Even with the gravity samples I could taste it. Just seemed like it 'enhanced' the extract twang???
Anyway, last 2 batches, I've used water from a fellow brewer that comes from his well. First one is an IPA carbing up right now. All the tastes thus far have been noticeably better!! Super happy!!!

I was getting some flavors that I just attributed to extract 'twang' while brewing from my tap water. I had done 3 batches and they all had it. Even with the gravity samples I could taste it. Just seemed like it 'enhanced' the extract twang???
Anyway, last 2 batches, I've used water from a fellow brewer that comes from his well. First one is an IPA carbing up right now. All the tastes thus far have been noticeably better!! Super happy!!!

This is exactly what I have been experiencing. "twang" is actually a good way of putting it. I'm doing all extracts as of now.

My girlfriends parents draw their tap water directly from an aquafer so I'm thinking of going over there sometime with some jugs and filling up.

I just put in an order with AHS for the Session Series American Brown Ale so when that gets in I think I'm going to try different water to see the results.

Palmer and Zainasheff point out in one of the episodes of their Brew Strong podcast (probably one of the four from the water special, but I can't remember) that if you're using extract, it's already got the minerals in it from the maltster's water chemistry during their mash, so extract brewing should be a rare occasion where distilled water would be okay. My LHBS recommends distilled water along with what they label a "sulfate media blend" (they have a little packet with that on one side and Irish moss on the other). Personally, I just used filtered tap water for extract. As always, YMMV, and do what tastes best to you.

I use gallon jugs of spring water from the grocery store. They are a $1 each and I just find it more convenient to dump the jugs in the kettle. Plus I keep a couple in the fridge to cool the wort. I get filtered water through my fridge and that just takes too long to get 6 gallons, plus the cost of filter replacements. I wouldnt use straight tap the same way I don't for coffee. When something I comprised primarily of water, I find it worth while to use "better" water.

I have well water that has oxidized iron in it. A 5 micron prefilter is used in the house. In the shop I have a 3/4 line that comes from the house. I have another whole house filter I use out there that is a .5 micron/carbon filter. That filters out the iron flavor as well as any bacteria that might be present. I fill my kettles directly with a hose and get about 1 3/4 gallon a minute of flow. The filters are available at Lowes and cost $20 each says it'll filter 1,000 gals, installed mine last May and still on the same filter. The filter only feeds the line for my brewing water.

I've only done three brews to date and they all turned out good. I used our tap water on all batches and it is not the best tasting water.

I've only done three brews to date and they all turned out good. I used our tap water on all batches and it is not the best tasting water.

If there are any issues with your water source you'll really notice it in a Lager such as a Helles or Czech Pils.

I used my fridge filter for a while. Took for-darned-ever, especially on all-grain batches. I could barely draw enough water and heat it up in time for the sparge. I wound up making this filter, although that was before I realized how inexpensively you can get some of the filters from a hardware store or online homebrew store. Works fine, though, and it was fun to make.

Latest posts

Back