Lets talk Oats!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoCoPoboy

Reaction score
I have a # of flaked oats that I'm going to use soon someone had told me about possibly roasting them but not sure properly How I should go about it... does any one have any other creative ideas with oats to get different results? All input is welcome and appreciated!

toasting is the way to go. there are a ton of threads on this board covering this - try a search for "toasted oats" using the Google search by clicking the "down arrow" by the search box at the top of the page (don't use the default search box, it's next to useless).

I just made an oatmeal stout and toasted the oats before I put them in the mash. I spread them out evenly on a cookie sheet and but them in a 375 degree oven. I don't remember the exact time they were in there I just checked on them after about 10 minutes at first then every 5 or so minutes after that. Once I noticed them starting to toast I would mix them up so they browned evenly. I pulled them out when they were a nice golden/light brown color.

I just cover a cookie sheet with foil then spread the oats about 1/2 inch thick and put them in a 350F oven. I'll lightly stir them by dragging a fork around in them every few min to make sure things are toasting evenly. Once it starts to smell like oatmeal cookies and the oats take on a dark tan color (usually 10-15 min), they're ready to come out. It adds a nice, toasty depth to my oatmeal stout.

One other suggestion I have heard but not tried, is that if you home toast grains, cool them, then seal them in a ziplock bag, pressing all the air out. Then leave them sit a week in the refrigerator before you brew with them.

Not sure what it does. But the guy who posted the suggestion said that his grains have a more pronounced roasted flavor when he does that.

Back