Style you will never brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WesleyS

Reaction score
I'm not a fan of IPAs, I've never brewed one and I can't imagine I'd ever brew one.
So I wanted to ask everyone else if there's a style or styles that you'll never brew?

at one point I hated stouts, but big giant stouts are some of my favorites now, same with IPA's - which I once could not stand because of the bitterness so take these with a grain of salt...

Gose, rauchbier, and american light lager.

If i want a lawnmower beer I will brew a kolsch

IPA

I said I would never brew a pale ale but I am going to do a SN pale ale clone next. I love that beer.

I'd have to say a sour as well. I'd hate to get brett all on my equipment and have to toss the plastics and rubber. I would expect the amount to be small, but I'd be afraid that I just couldn't trust them anymore. I had a bad experience when I put a root beer on tap. I had to sawp out all the lines and gaskets. I couldn't find a replacement for one of the gaskets in my perlick faucet, so I cleaned it as well as I could. nope... still tasted root beer on the first pour of the next beer through that tap.

Any lager ...at least until I can convince SWMBO that we need a refrigerator in the basement just for my beer making endeavors (which will happen eventually).

Probably an American Light Lager.

I won't brew a sour beer, but that's because I don't have the storage space for a second set of tubes, carboys, etc for just sour beers.

I can't say there's any style I'll never brew. While there are styles that I don't prefer I imagine I'll end up trying to brew them all.

dcott said:
Any lager ...at least until I can convince SWMBO that we need a refrigerator in the basement just for my beer making endeavors (which will happen eventually).

That is a hard a sale. Surprisingly my wife bought a freezer for me at a yard sale for my lagering a short while after I started brewing. Now I just bring stuff home and make no eye contact. Ha

I don't care much for weizen, so I can't ever see myself making one at home (have made a few commercially)

No sours, I like them, but don't drink enough of them to deal with all the hassles, particularly being sure I have killed all the nasties off!

Not into massive hops, so no IIPA or anything like that

I don't drink enough barleywine to bother making one at home. maybe, but probably not

I can't say I won't try something once. Probably won't do a sour, but that could change tomorrow. Can't say no to any lagers, someday I will have the setup for one. Not a fan of IPAs but if a friend wants it then I would consider it.

I've brewed most styles, but not hefeweizens (or dunkelweizens) as I hate them.

I probably won't brew any more beers in category 16 (Belgian and French ale), although I have done some. I just don't like them. I think I've hit every other category except for 17 (sours) and I may do a Flanders red sometime. It's not anywhere near the top of my list, though, so it may not happen.

no more ipa's for me. i know i don't like them, but i brewed two 5 gallon batches month before last. no more rye ales either. i also haven't had any dark beers at all that i liked or remotely thaught was good. so add dark ales,lagers or anything to that list as well.

I'm not a big fan of Belgian ales. I keep trying to like them but I'm not a big fan and I would probably never drink them and since I don't like them to begin with I'm not sure I would even know if it's "good."

Zima

1_123125_2152319_2180454_2204595_081126_drink_zima.jpg

Never will do a mead, or lambic. Don't want to wait 6-12 months for my beer. Besides putting bacteria into beer on purpose makes my stomach hurt.

I'm not a fan of IPAs, I've never brewed one and I can't imagine I'd ever brew one.
So I wanted to ask everyone else if there's a style or styles that you'll never brew?

I`m in this camp,not a hophead.I like my beer malty.

cheers

I would probably say light american lager. I'd consider doing one just for the challenge down the road (as of right now I doubt I could pull it off), but if I get the equipment to do proper lagers I'd probably end up staying on the Bock end. I'd consider doing German/Czech pils or Munich Helles, and I'll probably brew another Kolsch, but that's about it.

I would brew about anything.One beer that really comes to mind is an Ovaltine beer-pretty shure i will never got damn brew it.;) Hell i brewed a gruit ale that tuned lemony but i kinda love it-all this time well over a year old and i still enjoy pulling a bottle now and then. Guess ;people like sours but i like this tear jerker(almost) lemon summer quencher of a beer in a ipa kinda way with tartness being a bitter.

Before a month ago I'd say light american lager... but I just happened to get one after an impromptu partigyle. Nice thing is that the grain bill had a bunch of wheat so I just added some flaked corn and "remashed."

I'd really try any style

belgians.

Don't care for them. I'll drink one on occasion just to see. But would not want a whole batch of them.

For those of you (and I'm one of them) afraid to do a sour due to introducing cold-side bugs into your brewery, there are still options... I do a gose with 25% acid malt, which gives me a sour without introducing any errant bacteria. You can do that for a gose or a berliner weisse rather easily. Or, you can try the sour mash option. Yes, it relies on bacteria, but it's all on the hot side of the house, so no bugs get anywhere near your fermenter or kegs/taps/lines.

Worth a try if you want to do a sour but don't want the hassle of the bugs.

Gixxer said:
Probably a sour. Only cause I have never had one but if I did and liked it I might reconsider.

This happened to me last Thursday. Never had sour beer. BARF mtg @ local brewery, and it was awesome. Beach brewing in va Bdeaj

Oyster stout. To me, that is the epitome of putting weird stuff in beer just for the sake of doing it. But, to each his own...

Guess for me it'd be gruit. Mainly because we don't know with full certainty exactly what spices went in it. Oh and that Mexican chewed corn beer.

i never imagined i would like sour beer but right now i'm obsessed with them. i built up the dregs from a bottle of russian river's beatification into a 3 liter starter and pitched it into 4 gallons of a blonde wort. with a slug of Brett B for kicks. i don't think i'll ever brew a barley wine (too much alcohol).

Imperial stout, or barley wine. I don't like the heavy alcohol taste that comes with super high gravity beers. If I want to taste alcohol, then I'll have a crown and seven.
I'm on an IPA kick right now, so my next is going to be a Surly Furious clone. After that, who knows; maybe I'll do another Hefeweizen.

Back