How many oz do you dryhop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boxofjibboo

Reaction score
I'm thinking 2 oz for about a week for a red ipa. Itd'd be 1 oz CTZ and 1 oz of falconers pellets

What about you guys?

It really depends a bit on how much aroma you already have left from your late kettle additions, and how much aroma you are looking for. For a typical 5 gallon batch IPA, I'd say between 2 and 4 ounces is about average for a dry hop, and a week to 10 days.

We used 2oz of cascade pellets in a 10g batch and let them sit for 5 days, which was nice. Right now we are finishing up a 10g batch of a rye IPA and we used 2oz of chinook and an ounce of amarillo. So we'll see how that goes.
We have been using a lot of late additions as of, well, late, so our beers have had great aroma.

I have 1oz of whole citra hops I'm thinking about dry hopping an imperial IPA with. Any thoughts, experience with citra as a dry hop?

usually do 1-2oz in a PA, 2-4oz in an IPA, 3-6oz in a IIPA

I have 1oz of whole citra hops I'm thinking about dry hopping an imperial IPA with. Any thoughts, experience with citra as a dry hop?

do it, dry hopping is one of its best uses. it has a tropical fruit like aroma. are you dry hopping with anything else? 1oz is pretty lite for a IIPA

usually do 1-2oz in a PA, 2-4oz in an IPA, 3-6oz in a IIPA

do it, dry hopping is one of its best uses. it has a tropical fruit like aroma. are you dry hopping with anything else? 1oz is pretty lite for a IIPA

I also Have 1oz each of Warrior, Chinook, and Cascade on hand too. Any combination suggestions?

The amount of hops for dry hopping will depend on the variety of hop, it's potential aroma, and the type of beer you are dry hopping. I found 1/2 ounce of Citra gave my APA lots of aroma. A second try with Citra and Cascade (1/2 oz Citra at 10 minutes, 1 oz Cascade dry hop) gave me similar amount of aroma but a completely different flavor. If it were an IPA I might use a bit more but not too much more.

I just added 1/4 oz hallertauer to my sam adams clone and it was plenty to give that SA aroma. Amazing what a difference a little bit does.

Here's a good general guideline for IPAs that hasn't steered me wrong:

Regular IPA: 0.25 to 0.50 oz. per gallon beer.
Imperial IPA: 0.50 to 1.00 oz. per gallon beer.

Most of my Regular and Imperial IPAs are dryhopped between 0.50 and 0.70 oz. It also depends on flameout hops.

Examples:

Stone IPA = 0.30 oz. per gallon
Stone Ruination = 0.40 oz. per gallon
Pliny the Elder = 0.75 oz. per gallon
Pliny the Younger = 1.00 oz. per gallon

My IPA equates to 13g per gallon. I agree that anything less than 2oz doesn't do it for me. I never dry hop less than 10 days. I raise temp to 70 and usually go 14 days.

My imperial that I was originally asking about when I started the thread came through great for a first batch. I settled on 2oz total one each of citra and cascade full cone. I just chucked them in there on top. Alot of them didn't sink but it still tastes pretty delicious.

I think anything under 2oz is a waste of time for an American style beer.

Just to offer a rebuttal, I brewed a pretty basic American Pale Ale with leftover ingredients. It came out fine but not complex at all.
I tossed just a half ounce of whole cascade in for a week, and it definitely added a nice nose to the beer, and a bit of flavor, without being aggressive.

That's what I was after, so it wasn't really a waste :)

I just dry hopped ~5 gallons of out 8% IPA with 3 oz dried cascade cones (right here from Grand Rapids!). Hopefully I don't lose more than half a gallon to absorption. That'd be a shame :cross:

I like super hoppy beers so I am doing 1.2-1.5 ounces per gallon pretty consistently. LOVE the aroma

I love it when the hops kick my teeth in and puch the back of my throat so i usually use at least 6 oz per 5 gallons in my ipa's.

I dry hopped my first batch (an IPA) with 2oz. which wasn't nearly enough! I'm definitely a hop fiend but wanted to see what 2 would do for me first. Next IPA I'll use at least 4oz.

Nobody mentioned whether you're using whole or pellets. What's the general concensus here. Would 2-3 oz of whole pellets in a 5 gallon batch cause much more of a loss in the final product due to absorption/increased trub?

I dry hopped a pale ale with only half an ounce of Citra and got plenty of aroma for me. Maybe some day I will get wild and do a whole ounce.:D

Nobody mentioned whether you're using whole or pellets. What's the general concensus here. Would 2-3 oz of whole pellets in a 5 gallon batch cause much more of a loss in the final product due to absorption/increased trub?

No. Actually, leaf dryhops cause more loss in the final product due to absorption of beer. The trub from pellet hops sink and turn into a green dust, becoming part of the trub, but not retaining as much beer as you might think.

In Jamil's Brewing Classic Styles, he doesn't dry hop any of his recipes, not even his IPA. There are a couple of recipes in the book which dry hop, but they are attributed to others (Vinny Cilurzo's Pliny the Elder recipe and Janet's Brown Ale).

This has always seemed odd to me. I've wondered whether he really likes to make his pale ales and IPAs without dry hops or if this is just a decision not to burden his target audience (extract brewers) with another procedure, simple as it may be.

I do some pale ales without dry hops, but I wouldn't think of not dry hopping an IPA. I'll usually just use an ounce for pale ales and 2 ounces for IPAs, but there will be some significant late hop additions as well.

Not dry hopping an apa or ipa is like custom building a 1992 Geo Prism sedan...it drives okay, but why would do something so stupid?

Just drank the first I've had of my first IPA. All Simcoe (60, 30, 10, 5, 0 - 5oz in the boil) and I put 3oz dry hop. Super aroma and just enough of a bite to know it's an IPA. Delicious

Just to offer a rebuttal, I brewed a pretty basic American Pale Ale with leftover ingredients. It came out fine but not complex at all.
I tossed just a half ounce of whole cascade in for a week, and it definitely added a nice nose to the beer, and a bit of flavor, without being aggressive.

That's what I was after, so it wasn't really a waste :)

Although I am not a big fan of Cascade as a dry hop everyone's perception is different. I am glad you got what you wanted out of the half ounce.
Like the song goes: I used to do a little but a little wouldn't do it
So a little got more and more I just keep trying to get a little better a little better of Hops and more......

I am decreasingly impressed with dry hopping to add aroma since I began using significant late flavor/aroma additions. Those late additions give me more perceived aroma (as judged by smelling the carboy) than before I used late additions. I still go with a 2 oz dry hop for my IPAs but need to try a split batch to compare.

Back