Simcoe shortage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enricocoron

Reaction score
So of course most people are aware of the Simcoe shortage...Amarillo and Citra will follow soon. As of now Simcoe is not available on Northern Brewer, Hop Union, Williams Brewing, Farmhouse, a ton of hops, or more beer. I just bought 32 oz. of fresh Simcoe flowers and if you love Simcoe like I do you may want to do the same. A few of the local shops in San Diego have told me that they don't expect to see Simcoe available to non contract buyers until 2013! Apparently next years crop has largely been pre bought, and it may be another year until farmers catch up with demand.

There are rumors on the net that this site and that site are about to get more Simcoes, but if they do, I'm guessing it's very little and price will be high. but they could just be rumors and there could be a reality that there will be no simcoes available for quite some time.

I heard that Summit and Cascade in the right ratio can approximate but not match Simcoes incredible flavor profile.

pellet seem to be in short supply but I've had no trouble finding whole leaf.

People need to stop spreading panic. There are a few distributors that aren't going to get much simcoe this year. Because of that, there are LHBS that aren't going to get simcoe this year.

There will Simcoe for sale this year, just not everywhere. It's a hot hop right now, and even though the farmers planted like 180% more simcoe than last year, it wasn't enough.

People need to stop spreading panic.

This! All these threads do is cause people to over buy and end up wasting hops.
Be smart, plan ahead, and you will have all the Simcoe/whatever the hop of the year is. I do.

_

If people just bought what they needed and quit hoarding, these things wouldn't even be an issue. But such is the western way, I suppose.

If people just bought what they needed and quit hoarding, these things wouldn't even be an issue. But such is the western way, I suppose.

Buying in bulk saves money and I for one am all about saving money. If somebody wants to buy 11# of it and I don't get any then I could care less. There are still other hop varieties to use and I have been told that Simcoe will be available next year as the farmer is really planting a ton of new acres to satisfy demand.

Back