What's the weirdest ingredient?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muss

Reaction score
What's the weirdest ingredient you've ever heard of added to a beer?

I know someone that made an onion beer. Heard it was terrible. Also, New Belgium's Springboard has Wormwood in it. I made a beer with peanut butter, and it's pretty tasty. :D

Many old farmhouse ales call for meat, but I've never actually made or tasted one. I always strain out the bees. After seven years of brewing, it's hard to think of what else might be considered odd.

I've been very close to making a bacon brew. I think I'll have to take the plunge

Every year Sweden has a festival where they eat "surströmming" (Fermented fish). I wonder how disgusting fish beer would be.

Peanut butter beer sounds interesting:)

Mmmmm, surströmming :D

Surstrom.jpg

Muss said:
Every year Sweden has a festival where they eat "surströmming" (Fermented fish). I wonder how disgusting fish beer would be.

Peanut butter beer sounds interesting:)

Yeah, it's pretty good. The recipe is a brown ale with some chocolate malt in it, as well as a few other specialty malts to give good head retention to combat the oil in the peanut butter. It came out pretty successfully, and I'll definitely do it again. Check the Big Brother Brown recipe in my sig if you're curious. :mug:

I never tried this but I thought of using rosemary. I like the smell. I think it would make something like a spruce beer.

Basically hop with rosemary.

Schlenkerla said:
I think it would make something like a spruce beer.

I think it would as well. I know some folks here have, I think....

Wierdest. Nothing to date really. I do sour mash on occassion. And added Sour cherries to one....it is clearing now, so I don't know how it turned out...yet.

Ive made both rosemary and spruce. Not too similar actually. (albeit i did use diff yeast) rosemary was VERY herbal and took forever to carb up. Spruce (i went pretty light on the spruce in the boil and used small branches to strain through) was pretty refreshing, but still strange.

Dead Indian flies.

I've brewed with jaggery a couple times and i use it in tea as well. I've found dead fly bodies in my tea on occasion. I just pick them out and drink it anyway.

The beers give a pretty nice buzz.

(couldn't resist. sorry.)

Weird things I've added so far... none of these batches are ready yet so don't ask me how they turned out lol.

Tea leaves
Tomato paste
Garlic

I'm thinking about doing something with parmesean cheese at some point.

My first reaction to reading that was to throw up a little in my mouth.

My second thought was, "how the heck did she culture that sample and keep it sanitary"

Man, that's too easy. With a sanitary napkin. Baddah Bing!!

Man, that's too easy. With a sanitary napkin. Baddah Bing!!
I'm going with she didn't. Reading the article there's no mention of HOW the beer turned out, so I'm going to go with terrible. There's a reason why this is under "Drunk of the Week", she's had a few.

The barleywine I'm about to brew has juniper it it. I'm hoping for something approaching Dogfish Immort Ale.

Thinking back, it was actually the sage they used in that Holiday Ale that I liked so much. Just the fact that they used spices that aren't normally found in your everyday brew (i.e. anything unexpected) is probably what appealed to me. :drunk:

I'm brewing 5 gallons of Olde Ale no hops. all pre-hop bittering ingredients:

Yarrow, Mugwort, Sweet Gale, Heather, and Juniper Berries. the Krausen finally fell after 7 weeks. Dry hooping with more sweet gale, heather and 50 more crushed juniper berries.

Bottle in 1 more week and let age... and age... hoping to hit 10% ABV or better.

In my old homebrew club a guy brewed with a chicken, spanish wine and some spices "sack ale"... was... interesting.... Another used garlic...not good. not good at all.

I've tried asian 5 spice powder in experimental batch, wasn't bad, with some ginger it might make an interesting winter brown ale.

Back