First All Grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMan551

Reaction score
Happy homebrew day. After only my first extract kit, I was given the chance to co-brew (watch and do what I was told) an all grain Russian Imperial Stout. 40+lb grain bill and a 1.090 target...we filled a keggle to the brim and we were able to hit 1.088. After a couple of weeks in primary, the entire group is going to age in an oak barrel.

It was a great experience and I learned a lot. I'm excited to do my own ag batch sometime soon.

JER

40+ pounds of grain and only a 1.090 target? That seems way low. But, an oak aged RIS sounds great. What batch are you going to do yourself?

Maybe we were aiming for low efficiency? I wasn't involved in the calculations, I showed up and brewed.

My first AG is still open. I have an American Wheat in the primary (my first batch) and a Bitter American clone that I will brew up when my fermenter is empty. In about 10 weeks we'll have our RIS copmleted. When I get the equipment needed to AG, I'll see what sounds good!

JER

Wh Wha Whaaaat! he didn't even say what size this batch was...how can you say his efficiency was low?

Says he filled a keggle to the brim, sounds like 12 gal or more.

I use about 20 # of grain for my 5 gal batch of RIS.

Yeah, I've got 26 in the one I'm making this weekend. Hence my reaction (over reaction, lol).

Back on topic - what do you think your first AG batch will be?

We were aiming for 10-11 gallons for the carboys, and just about nailed it. Technically my first AG batch was this RIS...for my first solo batch, time will tell. I first have to gather the required tools, then I may try to knock out a Pale or maybe a large IPA (but not quite an IIPA). I have about 5 varieties of hops growing out back, and I think it would be fun to 'perfect' a hoppy beer and utilize my own crop!

JER

Back