What would this make?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SatelliteGuy

Reaction score
While I was home for the holidays, I had ordered two batches worth of grains, for a Nut Brown (which I'm ready to bottle today) and an oatmeal stout (which I'll be brewing soon, hopefully before Wednesday) - both partial mashes.
Well, when I went to pick up the order, it turned out they had combined all the grains (minus the flaked oats) into one big bag. Obviously, I couldn't use that, so he re-ordered my grains, and specified that they all be separate.
So, it finally arrived, and I picked it up. The HBS owner told me I could have the original combined order, for free, since he can't do anything with it.
So, dividing the contents by two (and understanding that it probably isn't mixed uniformly) I have two batches worth of:
- 2 lbs two-row
- 12 oz crystal 60
- 8 oz chocolate malt
- 4 oz victory malt
- 4 oz roasted barley

I'd plan on supplementing this with 4 lbs of light DME, which, according to Beer Calculus, will give me an OG of 1.056.

So, what would this give me, and what would you do for hops? I imagine it would be something between a brown and a stout, so probably a porter, right?

60 min. 5-7 %aa type hops like fuggle or willamette or something. Get maybe up to 30 ibu's. Looks like a brown i did but turned more into porter. Looks good to me.I'd do it. Maybe add the oats to the other.Id throw in some lactose or do something with the other since you have the same. Maybe use a differnet hop prime with a different sugar add vanilla bean. May as well tweek and experiment with the other.

60 min. 5-7 %aa type hops like fuggle or willamette or something. Get maybe up to 30 ibu's. Looks like a brown i did but turned more into porter. Looks good to me.I'd do it. Maybe add the oats to the other.Id throw in some lactose or do something with the other since you have the same. Maybe use a differnet hop prime with a different sugar add vanilla bean. May as well tweek and experiment with the other.

Thanks for the tips! for the first, I was thinking of keeping it basic, just these grains, lme, and a hops like Fuggles, as you said. Maybe I'll take your advice, and get a little creative (read as: get creative ideas from you guys) with the second batch.
The oats, btw, weren't duplicated; I had enough for the two batches I'd originally ordered.

What would brown sugar add to a batch like this?
I'd love to hear any other ideas you guys have.

Brown SUGAR will lighten up the body and dry it some depending on how much you use. If your going for that flavor maybe add some molassis (unsulfered) instead or just try brown sugar for priming sugar to start. Ive been having issues with light bodied beers so im staying clear of the sugars for now.

I would put it all back together and mix it thoroughly before dividing it.... that way you wont get any surprises

I think I might try molasses... would I just use the regular stuff I have with my bread, or should I get unsulphured blackstrap molasses?

For 1: Add 0.75 lbs dark brown sugar, use Cascade or other American hop. 0.5 ozs flavor, and 0.5 ozs aroma. Make about 40 IBUs.

For 2: Add 0.75 lbs dark brown sugar, 0.25 lbs peated smoked malt, Goldings/Willamette/Fuggles hops, 40 IBU.

That smoked malt will make a great Smoked Porter. NOTE: Peat malt @ 0.25 lbs for 5 gallons will give you a lot of smoke flavor. If you use any other smoked malt, you need to up it to 2+lbs in 5 gallons to get a decent smoke flavor.

Back