Are there any schools out there?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkiSoloII

Splitting the beer atom since 1996
Reaction score
I've got and thoroughly read a lot of books on brewing (well, 6 or 7). HTB, DGB, Papazian's stuff, Clones, Styles.

That's a lot different than actually watching/working with/being taught the appropriate techniques and variations where brewing is concerned. I went to gunsmithing school in the 80's on the GI bill. Teachers raise the learning curve significantly - plus, you don't just start working at a brewery when you have another job.

I'm not interested in a commercial situation, just significantly improved HB technique. Are there any extension classes - kind of like Marc Adams and his woodworking school?

This shouldn't be that hard.

Thanks.

Dave

I see a good business opportunity in this area. Here we have a shop called Water to Wine that helps people make wine. How come there isn't one for Beer? At least to help those that are at least interested to get into the hobby?

Barley to Beer....coming soon to a location near you...

Occasionally, someone on the board tries to setup a class with a local college. They don't seem to do very well.

I do pretty well at Cabrillo College in Soquel. California. I take the students through 5 weekends learning everything from the basics of extract to using my gravity fed all-grain system making 10 gallons. It's a great class. The final day, we pair food with 3 of the homebrews that we made during class.
mark
Beer Diary...

I like the idea of the Advance Homebrewing Course at the Siebel institute in Durango, but I can't find the course on the Fort Lewis site. Tough catalog to maneuver through. Can anyone find dates?

Dave

Your best bet is your Local Homebrew store. If you are close to Cap n Cork they do classes for around $20 sometimes.

I would also recommend looking for a homebrewing club in your area. Mine has an annual brewday every year. I have taken a few friends along to show them the process. We usually do a couple of batches, at least one AG and at least one extract.

Well, I think I've got some of the basics. As noted above, I've read a number of books cover to cover several times. I've brewed 24 extract/spec grain batches, I've got my second AG in the primary (a lot happier than the first). I'd really like to get into the more technical details - and practical stuff.

Maybe I really do need to just get more involved with the local club - Or maybe Revvy?

My learning curve is moving upwards, I was just trying to find a way to make it more vertical.

Thanks all,

Dave

Club involvement is one way to go.

Also take a look at the brewing science forum here at HBT. There is some serious stuff in there. Kaiser for example, has done some write-ups on techniques, etc... that would probably be up your alley.

Brew Science - Home Brew Forums

Back