Keg diagnosis help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyberbackpacker

Reaction score
I am running 10' of 3/16" line out of a party tap. Line is inside the refrigerator, and temp is at 36F. I also have tried 12' of line at 36F with no improvement.

I am using a new micromatic primary regulator, and that is the only reg in use at this time, it is hooked up correctly, so I do not believe my problem is regulator related

As far as the pour... I cannot leave the reg at carbing (12psi) levels and dispense or I get too much foam (3/4 of the glass). So, I have been turning off the co2, blowing off all CO2 from the keg, setting reg to 0psi, turning back on, then slowly adding pressure until there is just enough to push out the beer.

It pushes out beer like, this, but even still I get quite a bit of foam and last night I noticed that I start to actually see foam built up right at the "input" to the party tap inside the line... I can actually see the high concentration of co2/foam sitting right there.

I started to degas the keg two nights ago, just to see if it was overcarbed. I vented that night before bed once and a little pressure was released. Did again before leaving for work the next morning and barely got any released. Did it again yesterday after work with no indication of co2 being released. So at this time I do not think it is an overcarb issue.

Keg was pressure tested, and was known to me to be a good keg.

Any ideas on my foaming issue that I haven't yet attempted or looked into?

Thanks in advance.

i think you have an overcarb issue. serving pressure at that temp should be about 6psi and at that length of line, you should be fine if youre carb is ok. try this, shake that keg up good, let it settle for 30 min, then purge it, then let it rest overnight, and retap it and see if your problem goes away. that method only works if the keg is low by about a gallon, dont do it if its full cuz youre gonna have one hell of a mess.

Balancing your system is always hard to start off with... Hope it works out! Keep us posted :mug:

PS How's that tank treating you?

Back