Looking for a cheap fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patton191

Reaction score
Would it be a bad idea to pickup two buckets and just split the batch? I have a load of little 2.5 gallon buckets. Would that be too much to split up? If I did 2.5 gallons buckets could I use 3 and use 2 in 2 of them and 1 gallon in the other? Does a smaller amount of brew, give a smaller amount of krausen? I really don't want another carboy, because I am not a huge drinker, I just have some grains that I wanna use.

You can divide the batches up, just be mindful of splitting the yeast evenly.

if you are in the states, why not go to your local HBS and get a 6 or 6.5 gallon Glass/better bottle carboy. I got my glass ones for ~40usd and you can get the better bottles for about the same price. They can last for ever, are you really that short of cash that you cant get a full sized carboy?

Buckets are even cheaper. about $10-15.

The only problem I see with splitting a 5 gallon batch into three separate units is making sure you evenly distribute the yeast. I suppose if you pitch, stir/aerate then divide it would work okay.

you can even use 5 gallon buckets from home depot, you'd just need to either brew a smaller batch (4 gal) or use some fermcap foam control drops to keep it from blowing off.

I just made a 4-gal batch in a fermenter I got FREE. I used the 5-gal plastic jug that held the frying oil my restaurant uses. With the amount of frying oil used by most fast food places, it should be easy to get, and it worked great.

Joe

I just made a 4-gal batch in a fermenter I got FREE. I used the 5-gal plastic jug that held the frying oil my restaurant uses. With the amount of frying oil used by most fast food places, it should be easy to get, and it worked great.

Joe

That sounds like a good idea, but I hope you found a way to get all traces of oil out of that thing or you can kiss the head on your beer goodbye.

Oil residue was not a problem. A good wash, soak, and rinse, and all traces were gone. The beer has conditioned, and heads up nice.

If you are not a big drinker just brew a 2.5 gallon batch. Just cut the 5g batch in half

It's not that I am short on cash, but I don't feel committed enough to buy another carboy. I don't secondary my beers, so I will most of the time just have an empty carboy lying around. That's bad business haha. I might just go pick up another aqua tainer.

Try your local bakery , donut shop or Chinese take out. All have 5 and 6 gallon food grade buckets that food supplies come in. Most will give them to you FREE.

I've always worried that second-hand buckets might have scratches that would harbor bacteria. I'm sometimes paranoid about infection though, once you get one it can spread :(

So I managed to grab 3 4 and 1/4 gallon buckets at a donut shop. So should I just take the batch and split it in half? What would be the best way to get 1/2 gallon marks on the bucket, because I don't have a half gallon container? I have a empty gallon milk jug that I used to get the whole gallon marks.

Back