Bottle Cap Labling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joker_x

Reaction score
I learned about this trick from a fellow home brewer. I wasn't too keen on labling my bottles unless for a special occaison as it would simply add another step to my least favourite part of brewing: cleaning and sanitizing the bottles. However, if you get a good collection of homebrews going, you need a way to tell them apart. My friend's method is to use a spreadsheet program (like excel) to print out small square lables on sticker paper which he can cut himself and stick on the bottle caps. These can contain all the important information: name of beer, alcohol content, bottle date, and just about any other information you could want on there. This is also a plus if you are serving from a cooler, so people can see the selection without having to disturb the sediment. No real question here, just sharing an alternative to labling all your bottles.

Cheers!
-Rick

Primary: Honey Amber Ale
Secondary #1: Oatmeal Stout
Secondary #2: none
Bottled/Aging: Octane IPA
Bottled/Drinking: American Amber Ale

Avery labels are great because they have software to set-up your printing. So, as long as they have a set-up for the particular sticky you are using, the sky isa the limit.

I employ a minimalist version of this technique: I print avery labels with the batch number. That's all I need--if I have a party or give beers away, I make a "key" which explains what each number is.

I just use a sharpy to put initials on the bottle cap:

O = oatmeal
LM = Lazy Monk
V = vanilla
White wild onion brewery bottle caps from the cheap bin = 80 shilling ale
W = Wit
H = Hefe
Etc, etc.

Then, for fun, I leave a couple unmarked. In a few months time, you got yourself a nice Mystery Brew collection.

cweston said:
I employ a minimalist version of this technique: I print avery labels with the batch number. That's all I need--if I have a party or give beers away, I make a "key" which explains what each number is.
I do the same. I stopped all the other info as a way of saving ink. Now it's a number and style, like "6015 HW".:D

I still like my "different colored cap" solution. No writing involved. I'm illiterate anyways. ;)

I'm starting to lean towards the bottle-cap method. Hopefully, there would be room for the logo, a quick appreviation, and maybe a date on there. I like the idea of designing labels, but cringe not only at the thought of applying all those labels, but of taking them off before re-using the bottles.

My wife planned a party for the opening of my first two batches so I made some labels. I'm a graphic designer and this is such an exciting time, I just had to make labels. I'm thinking a dab of Elmers glue in the corners will hold them on long enough for everyone to see them and get some pictures. I'll probably only do it for special occasions and use a batch number on the cap for the regular batches.
:ban:

I use the Avery round ones.... think there are 5/8"..... they are somewhere under this mess....

seanhagerty said:
Has any one ever looked at getting bottle caps printed up with their own logo on it?

Sounds expensive.... you can print these round ones in color and everything. The ones I use is pretty much the cap size too.....

Beer Snob said:
Sounds expensive.... you can print these round ones in color and everything. The ones I use is pretty much the cap size too.....
Yeah, the quality difference between the sticker and printing on the metal is pretty small, but the price difference would have to be huge.

I just use a sharpie, although I still like to have a label designed for each batch, for posterity. Maybe, I'll frame them all someday.

I prefer labeling the crowns. Long live the sharpie method!
Beer labels are like condoms, they aren't really much good for more the one use.

In order to avoid opening Pandora's box, I will at this point refrain from expressing my opinion any further on the merits of homebrewing and label design. :p

My fridge is full or two or three homebrews, some have labels, some don't, some definately have the wrong labels...then I drink 4 and forget about the problem.

Brewsmith said:
I still like my "different colored cap" solution. No writing involved. I'm illiterate anyways. ;)

Illiterate, or one too many homebrews?

Quick story: I sell vehicles, we went to a Housing Authority in the city where i live to go over specs on there vehicles before they went out to bid. The guy who had a bit of a slur says "i need to go get a pen and paper, cuz im dyslexic". well, i have since called being 5 sheets to the wind at 10 in the morn, someone 10 ft away being able to smell booze, most likely will piss himself in 8 min drunk.......Dyslexic!

Anyone getting Dyslexic tonight?

Engelramm said:
My wife planned a party for the opening of my first two batches so I made some labels. I'm a graphic designer and this is such an exciting time, I just had to make labels. I'm thinking a dab of Elmers glue in the corners will hold them on long enough for everyone to see them and get some pictures. I'll probably only do it for special occasions and use a batch number on the cap for the regular batches.
:ban:

I read that milk works as a mild bottle adhesive. Print the labels on plain paper and brush the back with milk. Then they will easily come off with warm water. I read about that in a Coopers brochure. Never tried it though.

fezzman said:
I read that milk works as a mild bottle adhesive. Print the labels on plain paper and brush the back with milk. Then they will easily come off with warm water. I read about that in a Coopers brochure. Never tried it though.
Interesting. I'll give that a shot.

Back