Adjusting Hydrometer readings for temp.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. Awesome

Reaction score
During all grain brewing, do you take the pre-boil hydrometer reading immediately after the sparge when the water is still 180 degrees? How do you adjust for that high temperature to get anything near an accurate reading.

I'm sure this is a bit of a dumb question, it just left me confused.

I use a refractometer for my preboil gravities, since it automatically adjusts for temperatures.

You can cool down a wort sample by putting ice around the sample container. Or you can take the gravity reading, take the wort temperature, then adjust the gravity reading to the temperature.

take the wort temperature, then adjust the gravity reading to the temperature.

Not a good practice to place a room temp thin glass hydro in 170º + liquid but yes you "can" do it.

Throw the sample in the freezer for about 10 min then adjust for temp when it gets 90º or lower.

I would put it in the freezer when I had that issue. Now I use my refractometer.

I found though, that most of the time my numbers are insanely consistent and I don't need to worry about preboil gravity. I just take it now because the refractometer is fun. :)

I set it in the fridge in labeled cups along with 1st and 2nd running cups. while the BK is coming to boil I take the readings then dump them into the boil. my #'s are fairly consistent from batch to batch runnings also, I do it simply to check efficiency.

I would put it in the freezer when I had that issue. Now I use my refractometer.

I found though, that most of the time my numbers are insanely consistent and I don't need to worry about preboil gravity. I just take it now because the refractometer is fun. :)

+1! I just bought my refractometer and LOVE my new toy. Sometimes I'll take readings during the boil just because I can.

When I first started brewing, I never took any pre-boil measurements. I wasn't concerned about my efficiency. I just wanted to brew beer. Granted I started brewing over 20 years ago too. Now with the internet, and forums like this one, I now understand why you would take this measurement.

:)

Back