Bayou SP10 vs SS10

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasonftw

Reaction score
Looking to get a burner to venture into outdoor homebrew for 5 gallon batches. I know a lot of people love their SP10's which is what I planned on ordering, but went out of stock with prime shipping on amazon. I came across the SS10 which appears to be the exact same model with stainless components. The reviews also appear to be more recent compared to the SP10. Right now its also cheaper with prime shipping. Is it safe to assume this would be a fairly comparable? I didn't see much info on here about that model.

As far as I can tell, the only difference is the stainless frame, a plus in my book. One thing to consider, if you ever plan on moving to keggles, the diameter of the trivet is too small. I welded a few extension clips onto my SP-10. This burner solves that problem & gives you a big boost in performance as well:

http://www.agrisupply.com/m/banjo-burner-and-stand-210000-btus-carolina-cooker/p/83715/

I have the NG version; it is an absolute beast. If you're sweet on the SS-10, better act fast, there's only one left!

Thanks for the input. I wouldn't be moving to keggles anytime soon, but its good to know the bayou could be modified to work. Looks like I am too late on the SS-10...temporarily out of stock. I was still able to order it though and I am in no huge rush since I am still piecing together the rest of my setup.

I've got the Bayou Classic Double Propane Burner (model) DB250, and love it. Gets lots of wort to a boil VERY quickly. I always do two side by side 5 gal batches, so it's perfect for that. Major pluses are that it runs off one 1 propane tank, and either one or both burners can be used. Even if you only do 1batch at once, it seems 2 burners give you more flexibility to expand later or simply multitask. Also was pretty reasonable at under $100.

Back