Forgot Step at End of Boil! Already Pitched! HELP!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveabrams

Reaction score
Participated in an outdoor brew day with the local brew club. "Today's brew went so smoothly, it seems almost too easy!" I said...

Yeah...so I got home, pitched my yeast, and realized as I was cleaning up I forgot to add the 1 lb. bag of corn sugar that was supposed to go in after the boil was finished. I rushed in, poured in the bag, shook the fermenter vigorously, and hung my head in shame.

Anyone have an idea what I can expect from this? It got added ~ 2 hrs after the boil finished, and the wort was around 70°. Hoping it's not totally ruined, but no doubt a learning experience...

A better approach would have been to dissolve the dextrose in some water and boil it for a couple minutes then cool it to wort temperature, add to the wort and stir it in with a sterilized spoon.

With your current method, the dextrose may not have dissolved in the 70F wort and might be sitting at the bottom of your fermenter. Will it ruin your batch? Probably not as bad as you think, the yeast will still eat the dextrose, but they may not eat all of it thus leaving a little residual sweetness in your wort or a little dextrose on the bottom of your fermenter.

It should be ok, you may want to try and dissolve as much as you can with a sterilized spoon; or if it's glass shaking (like you did).

Question 1: Did you boil it first to sanitize it?

Question 2: Are you sure it was supposed to go in prior to fermentation? My guess is that was your priming sugar, to be added at bottling.

+1 on the sugar being for bottling/kegging, also on boiling in water & cooling before the addition.
Did you have a copy of the recipe for the club brew??

Here is the link to the recipe from the kit (Northern Brewer):

http://www.northernbrewer.com/documentation/beerkits/SingleHopBestBitter.pdf

- Add 2oz UK Fuggle hops and boil for 60 minutes.
- Add 1oz UK Fuggle hops 15 minutes before the end of the boil.
- Add 1oz UK Fuggle hops 5 minutes before the end of the boil.
- Add 1lbs Corn Sugar at the end of the boil.

Unfortunately, no, I didn't dilute or boil the sugar before I poured it into the fermenter. The sugar should be safe for the yeast still, right?

its a fermentor, not a bottling bucket. the yeast will churn it up and find it all in a week or so.

It'll be beer and who knows maybe very good, you'll probably have a little more abv, just make sure you have corn sugar on hand for bottling

Back