DME sticks to bag, how to add?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pelican521

Reaction score
Just wondering how everyone adds their DME to their boiling wort?

I've only brewed one batch but when I added mine which was provided in two large ziplocks, the steam/heat caused some to stick on the bag.
Same thing happened when adding my bottling malt. Both times I took the pot off the burner to control the boil. Should I put it in something else before I add it?

Thx

I've even put it in a small SS bowl to add & had it stick in web-like strings. Just dip that part of the bag now where I cut it open & it forms.

I always put it in a bowl/measuring cup befor adding to the wort. Then if it sticks you can just dunk the whole thing in the wort and rinse it off! Just be sure to boil after dunking!

I figured since it's boiling anyway,& I just cut off the corner of the bag what little gets dunked won't hurt anything at that point.

I don't use much DME, but was curious and asked this same question at a recent home-brew demo. Haven't tried this but was told that DME dissolves pretty well in cool water, so you might be able to avoid the mess that way and if it works would be a lot easier to mix in. I would test a little sample before brew day, though.

I just use a scoop to get it out of the bag. The DME that sticks to the scoop can just be disolved by swirling the scoop in the wort.

cool, thanks for the replies. Next time I'll just dunk the bag (sounds dirty) :)

I don't use much DME, but was curious and asked this same question at a recent home-brew demo. Haven't tried this but was told that DME dissolves pretty well in cool water, so you might be able to avoid the mess that way and if it works would be a lot easier to mix in. I would test a little sample before brew day, though.

It dissolves eventually, but I would not say that it dissolves well. Pourng it into wort makes it clump up in large rocks and it takes some stirring to help it dissolve.

I improved my method during my last batch. I use non-hopped extract so boiling is not an issue.
I steep with less water than needed, then add water (cooling the wort), pour the extract in a pot and then start pouring in the boil while stirring. Since the water is not too hot, there is no steam so not much hassle. In the end, a bit of warm water in the pot dissolves the extract stuck on it and I drop it in the boil and resume the boil. The downside is that it increases the time needed to get to a rolling boil but it is way more convenient.

RonB said:

Definitely, not intuitive but it clumps in boiling water and dissolves much easier in warm-hot, say 170 F.

Back