Possible to make multiple "starters" from a dry packet?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michgan241

Reaction score
Im wondering if its possible to make say 4 starters from 1 packet of notty's.

so more or less what im wanting to do is take a little LME/water in a flask pitch the yeast let it kick off, then mix/shake the flask to suspend the yeast, then separate into 4 different bottles for future brews.

so the yeast wont actually be doing much "work" just getting them moving then dormant in the fridge.

We don't typically make starters from dried yeast. If you want to harvest dry yeast for later brews, most of us do a yeast wash instead. This is the thread where most of us who wash out yeast learned how to do it from.

You can culture it that way but in the end your spending 4x the amount for a single pack of yeast making it virtually pointless. You will have to step those "bottles" with more starters when you decide to brew. Spending the money on dme is not worth it. Keep a couple extra packs in the fridge. Dry yeast in most cases have a high enough yeast-rate to pitch the packet and not need a starter.

thanks for the info, I was told usually you can just pitch the next wort on top of the yeast to stretch it out a bit, but im brewing a high abv cider and i think it gets funky if you do that doesnt it?

Was hoping to save some trips to the LHBS.

Flame suit on. Most people on here will tell you NOT to make a starter with dry yeast because the manufacturer does not recommend it. I have made starters with dry yeast and froze it. Made another starter upon thawing and brewed with it. Couldn't tell the difference between a dry pack or frozen aliquot. I say go for it if that's what you want to do. I will agree that it is not neccessary to make a starter with dry yeast, but it is not as counter productive as people are led to believe. It's not like it's genetically engineered to ferment one batch out of the pack and then self destruct.

Flame suit on. Most people on here will tell you NOT to make a starter with dry yeast because the manufacturer does not recommend it. I have made starters with dry yeast and froze it. Made another starter upon thawing and brewed with it. Couldn't tell the difference between a dry pack or frozen aliquot. I say go for it if that's what you want to do. I will agree that it is not neccessary to make a starter with dry yeast, but it is not as counter productive as people are led to believe. It's not like it's genetically engineered to ferment one batch out of the pack and then self destruct.

Yea, my idea was more or less to make a few starters from one packet to stretch the amount of batches i can get from a packet. I'd like to just rack onto the yeast cake but 8-10% stresses the yeast too much from what i understand.

Back