Tequila in Vienna Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

granddeity

Reaction score
I recently made a Vienna lager, having run out of cheap vodka I used tequila in my air lock. I am a habitual airlock sniffer, and the smell of the tequila mixed with the beer smell was very nice. I also drank the tequila from the airlock after I racked it for lagering, and it was very tasty (why waste the tequila?). It has me thinking, has anybody ever added tequila to a Vienna lager with good results? Any ideas on how much to add to a 5 gallon batch? Thanks for the info.

Granddeity, did you ever receive an answer to your question? I make wheat beer, and a taqueria wants to buy a batch. I said that we could spin a particular flavor for them, and just joking, we were saying we should make it with a tequila flavor.

So now I'm wondering if I could actually do that somehow. I keep my process very simple though; I don't even do a secondary, just straight to bottles. If it can't be done in Primary or in bottles, I ain't doing it!

I never got any reply, but I am planning on making a tequila Vienna lager early next year. I plan on adding the tequila to the bottling bucket. I haven't yet decided how much to add.

It can be used. It is a hell of a waste but a reposado comes out great in some light to medium beers. I decided to do it to an ale back in the day for kicks since I had a few bottles someone gave me. Too much and it just tastes bad but I like it with a tad of wood. Add at bottling.

If you are afraid or just curious, play around with blending. Take a few snifters, add about 100ml beer in each and try 1,2,5ml of tequila, etc to see how you like the taste... Then scale up for the whole batch.

Sounds like what you taste is what you get. Perfect for me; I want to keep it simple and subtle. I'll do the testing you recommend.

Thanks so much - Cheers!

I dunno, that combo doesn't seem like something I can get my tastebuds around. Seems to me something like a Dortmunder or a Cerveza; something Light and golden would balance the tequilla, not something dark...

Have you just tried getting a bottle of your favorite vienna lager, and a bottle of tequilla and doing a test blend?

Subscribed. I love me some Vienna, and I loooooove me some Tequila. Lead the way, my friend.

Revvy, that is an excellent idea. I will be buying some Vienna lager soon and will mix some tequila into it to see if I actually like it as much as I think I will.

Back