Raspberry Wheat recipe ?'s

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evolcoms

Reaction score
So I got this recipe and after I looked at the instructions, I'm not to sure what to do. I looked up Raspberry Wheat recipes and I read a bunch of threads on the subject. Question I mainly have is should I add the puree to the primary or the secondary? Here is the recipe:

2 - 3.3 lbs. cans of Bavarian Wheat LME
1 lbs. Briess DME Weisen
8 oz. Caramel 10L
8 oz. Carapils
12 oz. Wheat malt
2oz. Hallertau Hops
California V Ale yeast (WLP051)
1 - 3 lbs. 1oz. can Red Raspberry Puree

Steep crushed grains in 3 gallons of water heated to 150 degrees Fahrenheit for 10 mins. Remove steeped grains and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and stir in malt extracts. Bring back up to a boil and add first hop additions (1oz.) for 60 mins. With 5 mins left, add last hop additions. At the end of 60 mins add your Raspberry fruit puree. Cool wort to 90 degrees Fahrenheit and pour into fermenter. Top fermenter off to the 5 gallon mark and pitch yeast. Ferment at 70 degrees Fahrenheit for 7 to 10 days.

Now I've read others have added the puree to the secondary instead of the primary, but I'm not sure witch one to do? I don't want the beer to be to tart or to sweet. Any suggestions?

No one has any experience in a Raspberry Wheat beer? I was thinking of using 2/3 of the puree in the primary and then the rest in the secondary. Not sure if I'll do this yet, but just something I'm thinking about.

I puréed 5lbs of fresh raspberries and added them to secondary for 15gal. Not sure if that's any help to you.

It's helps. I'm trying to decide either to use the puree in the primary or the secondary. This will be my second batch so I'm nervous to tweak with the recipe and instructions. I'm going back and forth between using 2/3 of the can in the primary and add the remaining to the secondary verses just going by the instructions. I'm trying to keep the tartness to a minimum.

I would just follow the recipe if its only your second batch. Next time, if you want to try it again, out it all in secondary and see what kind of difference it makes. Make a learning experience out of it.

Everything I can recall seeing about using purées is that you rack onto them in secondary. I also believe that doing it in secondary makes it a little easier to get the tartness/raspberry flavor just right. You can let it settle and infuse for a few days and then sample a little every day until the flavor is just right, then bottle/keg.

It really depends on how much of a Raspberry flavor you want. If you want a mellow berry flavor add it to your primary. A little stronger put in your secondary. If you want a really pronounced flavor add some at bottling - but not too much or you'll create bottle bombs.

Add it in the secondary.

Adds 3lb can of raspberry puree will be noticeable, but not dominate in a 5 gallon batch. My wife likes 5 lbs on 5 gallons. 3lbs in 5 gallons will be more like Harpoon UFO Raspberry Heff.

I like to pasteurize and macerate the berries with one pint of water per pound and strain the pulp out. A little work up from will save you beer loss in the end. It will also keep the fruit floaties out of your bottles.

I made a cherry Belgian back in may. And added a can of cherry puree at the end of the boil, put it in a bucket for 3 weeks then added another can to the secondary for 3 months. Now I keg and when ever I do fruit beers I get fruit chunks like seed and what ever pulp is left. The taste was amazing, Very cherry and nice color. So I guess like all the fruit beers I've done (strawberry, raspberry, cherry) I always get chunks.

I'm looking at a corny keg filter kit. 60 bucks and it removes 99% of all solids including yeast.

I did a little brewing this weekend! The house smelt sooo good for 2 days. The FG on my Raspberry Wheat was 1.055. I ended up adding the puree to the primary. I am also contemplating on racking it to a secondary with some fresh raspberries. I'm not sure on the cost of raspberries right now, but that will play in my decision. Either way I'm excited to to get it bottled. :tank:

frozen fruit is economical, and you likely aren't going to taste a difference in the beer. Adding fruit after primary fermentation has completed will give you a fresher taste whether it is fresh, frozen or pureed. (adding fruit to the primary gives a more muted flavor, and can make it taste slightly rotten)

Here is my UFO raspberry hefeweizen clone recipe:
http://woodlandbrew.blogspot.com/2012/11/ufo-raspberry-hefeweizen-clone-recipe.html

And how I prepare my fruit:
http://woodlandbrew.blogspot.com/2012/11/fruit-easy-way.html

I decided to go by the recipes directions. This was my second batch and I was hesitant to change the directions.

I ended up calling the hbs that I bought the kit from and they told me to add it to the primary. We shall see how it turns out!

I just added 5 lbs to the primary for 2 weeks then secondaried for a week to clear. Turned out great. No purée to do.

The Rasperry Requiem brown ale is another good thread to check out on various methods of brewing with fruit.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f75/requiem-raspberry-56285/

I just brewed this and added 3 lbs of frozen raspberries to a grain bag when I put it in the carboy in secondary. I basically used a cut open milk jug for the funnel to add the raspberries to the grain bag inside the carboy.

db95b65c18d411e28b4622000a1c8658_7.jpg

Using the grain bag left no haze in the beer, but there is some sediment. I would consider fermenting primary in a plastic bucket then adding the raspberries and moving to secondary afterwards or cold crashing to reduce the sediment next time.

This beer came out awesome and the raspberry flavor is increasing as it sits around. Trying to hold off on plowing thru this since it would be effective with ladies. Now I need to find one of those, but that's another issue.

So I couldn't resist and I opened one of my raspberry Wheats. It was still a little tart, but I think that will fad with a little more time.I will be moving the RB Wheat to the fridge tomorrow. I think my next fruit brew will be a Peach berry Hefeweisen for the wifey.

Not a very good picture, but it has a nice dark Amber color. It has nice head that doesnt dissapear. Constant layer of foam.

ForumRunner_20121208_084718.png

Back