Does anyone know where to get a stir bar in Manhattan??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rev2010

Reaction score
Can't seem to find a place that sells them. Last weekend like an idiot I did what most have done in their time brewing, I poured out my starter blindly and forgot to magnetic hold the stir bar. I only had one. I ordered two more online that show an estimated delivery date for tomorrow but I know how the USPS tracking site works and delivery means delivery to the post office in my area which means it's one more day until it's actually at my workplace. So, I probably won't have the spares tomorrow.

I would need to get the starter going tomorrow night for my weekend brew so if I could pick one up in the city it would be great. Anyone know of a place?

Rev.

Maybe not the answer you are looking for, but it sounds like you are in a pinch ... Depending on what kind of fermenter you have it wouldn't be too hard to get it out. As long as you have a relatively strong magnet you can "fish" around for it from the outside and pull it up.

Thought about that but I don't have any strong magnets and I figured it would be a PITA to try getting it out. That's why I ordered the replacements and figured they'd get here by tomorrow. I might be lucky enough to pick it up from the USPS location it will be at if it gets to the city tomorrow, but that's still an unknown until at least tomorrow morning.

Rev.

@Hex23 - ok, so I did find a strong enough magnet, once attached to a 90 degree angle/level thingy I have. I just tested it and sure enough it grabbed the stir bar and I was able to drag it up along the side of my fermenter. I will be adding Apple cider to my Apple Pie Ale tomorrow night so when I go to open the fermenter to add the cider I am going to sanitize my long brew spoon to "catch" the stir bar after dragging it up. Phew, I feel better now. Thanks again for the suggestion! I didn't want to mess with the fermenter to get it out but then I realized I'd be opening it anyway tomorrow to add the cider :mug:

Rev.

As expected the extra stir bars didn't arrive today but the good news is I got the stir bar out very easily when I opened the fermenter to add the apple cider. I did just like I said, used the magnet to drag it up and caught it with my sanitized brew spoon. I have my yeast starter going right now. :D

Rev.

Back