Cider fermented out in a week?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kzx87

Reaction score
5 gals of cider and 1lb of dextrose went from about 1.060 to about 1.000 in a week with S04.

Seems a little fast, but probably fermented a little warm around 74*F. It's a bit harsh and dry (not unexpected), but it definitely tastes like hooch.

I'm thinking it should cold crash and then rack it to secondary for a good long while to let it mellow out. Then eventually sorbate, backsweeten, and carbonate.

Seem like a good idea?

My cider all fermented out in just over 24 hours... 55 points in 24 hours. What do you mean by harsh? Like solventy, or acidic?

when I say harsh, I mean slightly acidic and a taste of alcohol like a young home brew wine or kind of like a commercial pinot grigio.

You can't sorbate and then carbonate, as the idea behind sorbate is to stop the yeast so you can sweeten.

You can sorbate and sweeten, sweeten, carbonate and pasteurize, etc, but you can not sorbate, sweeten and carbonate.

Most ciders will finish at .990 or so, so yours may not be done yet.

I should clarify I meant sorbate, backsweeten, then force carb.

Ah, gotcha! That will work fine. Make sure you use some campden (sulfite) with the sorbate as sorbate works better in the presence of sulfites, and that the cider is completely clear before stabilizing.

yea, I just moved it to the fridge to cold crash until it's crystal clear. plus I did 2.5tsp of pectin enzyme when I pitched, so it should clear up nicely.

Back