Bottling wine in beer bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happycamperagain

Reaction score
I will be bottling a Zinfandel in a few weeks. The last batch of wine I bottled I did so in wine bottles. But I have a bunch of beer bottles I have accumulated for my home brews. Are their any problems with bottling wine in beer bottles? How about using bottle caps instead of corks?

No problems using beer bottles and caps, long term aging you would want to use oxygen barrier caps or wine bottles. I have wine in beer bottles.

I have a few bombers of blackberry wine because I didn't have enough wine bottles. It's been about 3 months, no problems thus far. I guess I ought to "check one" this weekend. Thanks for reminding me!

I get my bottles from the recycling of a carabas restarunt. I love the 1L and 0.5L bottles for fancy european water. They're super easy clean and take crown caps.

Don't some folks use Champagne bottles for beer?

Yes, but not wine bottles. Champagne bottles are built to withstand pressure at or above the level that beer bottles are. Wine bottles are not built to withstand much, if any, pressure.

some wine bottles are built with really heavy glass, you could probably use on of those for beer but not the standard thin glass.

Back