Red Mystery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sudz

Reaction score
I've been making wine mostly from kits for several years. The majority have been reds but many whites from the same kit company's as well. Our whites always turn out very good. Their taste and aroma are typical of the styles and basically what has been expected.

The reds, unfortunately not so. I've never had an effort go bad or experienced any issues which would suggest something bad occurred but... The reds just are not right.

They start with the typical green metallic twang which dissipates with time as they age but there's another metallic type of favor that's characteristic of all the reds. This becomes apparent when the aging begins to mellow the wine. I've never tasted this on a commercial wine.

I've reviewed my procedures and they're basically the same for the reds or whites. The kits are pretty much the same with an exception of added skins on some kits. Sanitation isn't an issue I don't believe.

I'm perplexed. Any suggestions where to start?

Thanks....

Back