Lees

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derrick123

Reaction score
I racked my apple wine from the bucket to the Carboy less then 2 days ago. It already has 2 inches of lees.

Should I rack off the lees or leave it a bit longer.

I racked my apple wine from the bucket to the Carboy less then 2 days ago. It already has 2 inches of lees.

Should I rack off the lees or leave it a bit longer.

You can leave it for 45-60 days or so if you need to, but certainly leave it at least 30 days before racking again. The lees should compact down a bit.

Apples and crabapples will throw lots of lees at first, but then it will stop and you'll just have a light dusting of lees the next time!

Hi,

Ok, great.

I did not know if there was a concern with leaving it in the lees for a long time.

Thanks for the help.

Are you sure it's really 2" and not just the lees stacking up on the curved side of the carboy bottom?

That is a good question. It seems to be 2 inches on all sides. I would have just guessed that it was the same depth in the middle, but maybe not.

Lees help to prevent oxidation. Some whites are left on lees for up to 8-12 months.

Back