Fat Heads Head Hunter Clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fritztheelephant

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has attempted a clone of this yet? I had it this summer and was really impressed. Here's the description from the their Facebook page:

An Uncivilized and aggressive, dry-hopped west coast IPA. A huge dank hop infused nose of pine and citrus. Big hop flavors of citrus, pine, grapefruit and pineapple. A creamy mouthfeel and a good malt backbone work hard to balance the aggressive hop

This is one of my favorite beers of all time. It's got the perfect amount of bitterness & amazing hop flavor. However, the best thing about it is the aroma IMO. It's so good I got a keg for my wedding reception in June!

I'd love to come up with some sort of clone, but haven't yet. I know they use Simcoe, Columbus, & Cascade hops & the IBUs come out to 87 (7.4%ABV). I'm guessing they use some early Simcoe additions for the bitterness & middle/late Cascade additions for flavor/aroma, but I'm not really sure where the Columbus fit in. It says they use "savage amounts" of hops, so that leads me to believe they have a lot of late flavor/aroma additions within the last 20 minutes or so. Dry-hopping is a must on this one as well. It's the only way you'll come close to replicating that aroma. They don't give a whole lot of info on ingredients on the website, so I think this one will be more of a trial and error approach.

The other option is to ask their head brewer Matt Cole if you're there anytime soon. I've talked with him a ton of times & he seems like a really personable guy who would help out (without physically handing you the recipe of course).

Hope this helps & keep me posted on your results if you attempt a clone. I'm brewing up an IPA tomorrow with the same ABV & IBUs, but using different hops (Simcoe, Amarillo, Centennial, & Chinook).

Wow! What did a keg set you back? Their Facebook page says they are going to start selling bottles soon. I may need to find a reason to go to Cleveland soon.

The reception place handled actually purchasing the keg from Fat Head's, so it was grouped together with the other alcohol on the bill...not sure how much it was exactly. My Aunt ended up paying for the alcohol, so I never even saw the final bill. Obviously, she's a big Fat Head's fan too! We decided long before the wedding that there would be at least one amazing beer at my reception. I refused to drink Coors, Miller, or Bud.

I'm signed up on their email list & they are selling bottles of Head Hunter starting January 13th.

Had Head Hunter at Great Taste of the Midwest last year and it was my favorite hands down. Any word on if they will start to distribute the beer outside of the state? If not I'll drive from Chicago and purchase some.

As of right now, you can only buy their bottled beer at either the Cleveland or Pittsburgh breweries. They've only bottled their Christmas Ale (last winter) & Head Hunter IPA (current). If you make the trip, call before you come because the supply sometimes can't keep up with the demand.

The good news is that I was talking to the brewer & they were in the process of purchasing Troegs brewery, which will increase their bottling ability. I guess Troegs is moving their operation into a larger facility.

Enjoying a Headhunter right now. Such a fantastic IPA. Easily number two on my list of faves.

I'd love to see a clone of this considering I can't get it in California other than my wife smuggling some in luggage, lol

Bump. Any more ideas on this? I am making an IPA next. Not trying to clone this so much as get in the neighborhood. Ill be using different hops but would anyone care to suggest a malt bill? This one has a nice backbone. I want that. Not the super dry style IPA.

Awhile ago I came up with a recipe I wanted to try somewhat based on Head Hunter. However (can't believe I'm saying this), I'm getting a little tired of the in-your-face bitter, dank IPAs. I stocked up on Head Hunter bottles awhile back & it seems like the only IPA I've been drinking lately.

Anyway...here's the recipe I was going to try.

Recipe Specs
- 5 Gallon Batch (6 Gallon Boil)
- 70% Efficiency
- Single Infusion Mash @ 148 F for 90 min
- Batch Sparge
- Boil 60 min

Grain Bill
- 10.25 lbs 2-Row Base
- 1 lb Vienna
- .75 lb C-60
- .75 lb Carapils
- 1 lb Corn Sugar

Hop Schedule
- 60 min - 1 oz Simcoe (Pellet) & .5 oz Columbus (Pellet)
- 20 min - 1 oz Cascade (Pellet)
- 15 min - .5 oz Cascade (Pellet)
- 10 min - .75 oz Columbus (Pellet) & .25 oz Cascade (Pellet)
- 5 min - .75 oz Columbus (Pellet) & .25 oz Cascade (Pellet)
- Flame Out - 1 oz Columbus (Pellet) & 1 oz Cascade (Pellet)
- Dry Hop 12 Days - 1 oz Columbus (Whole) & 1 oz Cascade (Whole)
- Dry Hop 5 Days - 1 oz Columbus (Whole) & 1 oz Cascade (Whole)

Yeast
- White Labs 001 - California Ale
- 266 Billion Cells Required
- Ferment for 21 Days @ 68 F

As far as the recipe goes, I figure the grain bill will give me a dry, crisp IPA with a subtle malt backbone & good head retention like Head Hunter. I've used Columbus hops recently & they definitely give you that trademark dank aroma you're looking for when used late in the boil. Head Hunter has a lot of citrus & grapefruit notes that the middle addition Cascades should help with. This recipe comes out @ 7.4% ABV & 87 IBU just like Head Hunter.

I dunno. I am just a beginner but HH has a fairly big maltiness for an IPA. I was considering mashing higher than the typical West Coast IPA.

BTW reading on BA this was compared to Stone Ruination. I have not had that. Is it a fair comparison? If so clone recipes exist of that for more reference. It's really that malt at the front I want to get. I just think mashing lower than 152 is going to dry it too much.

Similar yes in that they're both heavy on the bittering hops & have dank, pungent aromas, but I get much different aftertastes. Ruination leaves me with a bitter, almost lemony aftertaste where the Head Hunter has more grapefruit characteristics. This probably comes from the Centennial hops in Ruination. Plus, Ruination is a slightly heavier beer at 7.7% ABV & 100+ IBUs.

If you find a good Ruination clone, just sub out the Centennial for some combination of Cascade, Columbus, or Simcoe & see what you come up with. In my opinion, the Columbus hops are what make Head Hunter so good.

Also, I do think of Head Hunter as a pretty dry IPA when fresh. However, I have noticed as the assertive hoppiness fades over time, the flavor changes & the sweeter malt comes out more. The clones for Ruination that I've seen have a FG of between 1.010-1.013, which is pretty dry. If you like your IPAs sweeter, you could mash higher or eliminate some of the corn sugar from the recipe, because its only purpose is to dry that sucker out.

My last two brews were .04 / .06. Due to an off thermometer. .012 or so is fine for me. Yeah I will leave out the sugar. I have 4 ounces each of Ace, Columbus and Simcoe plus some others but I think I am going to just use a combo of those 3.

I know this thread is a tad stale, but I tried this recipe and am just now drinking it. As it pertains to Head Hunter, I didn't have one handy to set this next to to truly taste test, but I will say it is one good IPA regardless!

Great IPA.
The Head Brewer, Matt Cole does a great job of getting a nice, clean, sharp bittering in this beer.
I'll get a chance to see the new brew production facility this weekend and I'm sure to have a couple pints as well.
I doubt he'll be sharing his recipe though.:(
Bull

From Mitch's new book

Malt bill:
American two-row malt 50%
Maris Otter malt 25%
CaraHell malt 6%
Crystal malt6%
Toasted wheat flakes 5%
CaraPils malt 2%
Dextrose 5%

Mash: 60-minute rest at 151 F with 6.7% of kettle hop bill Centennial 9.2% alpha acids.

Total boil time is 90 minutes. At the start of the boil in the kettle (90 minutes)
use 17.7% alpha acids CTZ at 23.3% of the bill. Identical additions at a ratio
of 6.7% each Citra (12.4% alpha acids) and Centennial (9.2% alpha acids)
are added at 45 minutes and again at 30 minutes. At the end of the boil add
23.3% Simcoe (12.27%o alpha acids), 16.6% Centennial (9.2% alpha acids), and
3.3% Columbus (14.2% alpha acids).

Fermentation
Use WLP001 or WY 1056 for pitching. Hold at 67" F (19.4" C) for four to five
days. Hold 2 days at fermentation temperature for a diacetyl rest before
cooling to 50" F (10" C). Crop or drop the yeast.

Dry hop for 10 days using
Equal parts Centennial, Simcoe, Citra, and Columbus at 0.2l oz./gal. (0.40
lb./bbl.,l.5a g/L) for each hop. Allow the temperature to rise to 60' F
Rouse hops with CO, at days 2, 5, and 8. Drop hops (remove or rack off
hops) at day 9. Cool for two days at 40' F, and finally cool to 33" F (0-6"
C). This beer is not filtered.

Targets:
OG: 17'P (1.068 SG)
TG:3.4 "P (1.014 SG)
ADF:80%
IBU:87
ABY:7.5%
Color: 8.5 "L (16.2" EBC)

I did all the math for everyone. . . hops are in grams. . . it was just easier, you can use google to convert if you want. 10g of finished beer, 11g into the fermenters, 11.5 post boil.

14.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 50.26 %
7.25 lb Marris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 25.13 %
1.75 lb CaraHell (11.0 SRM) Grain 6.07 %
1.75 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 6.07 %
1.50 lb Toasted Wheat Malt (11.0 SRM) Grain 5.20 %
0.60 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 2.08 %
1.50 lb Corn Sugar (Dextrose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 5.20 %

56.70 gm Columbus (Tomahawk) [17.70 %] (90 min) Hops 56.1 IBU
16.20 gm Centennial [9.20 %] (45 min) Hops 7.1 IBU
16.20 gm Citra [12.40 %] (45 min) Hops 9.6 IBU
16.20 gm Citra [12.40 %] (30 min) Hops 8.1 IBU
16.20 gm Centennial [9.20 %] (30 min) Hops 6.0 IBU
56.70 gm Simcoe [13.00 %] (1 min) Hops 1.7 IBU
16.20 gm Centennial [9.20 %] (1 min) Hops 0.3 IBU
8.10 gm Columbus (Tomahawk) [17.70 %] (1 min) Hops 0.3 IBU
56.70 gm Simcoe [13.00 %] (Dry Hop 10 days) Hops -
56.70 gm Centennial [10.00 %] (Dry Hop 10 days) Hops -
56.70 gm Citra [12.40 %] (Dry Hop 10 days) Hops -
56.70 gm Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] (Dry Hop 10 days) Hops -

WLP001

I noticed that the numbers in plato didn't exactly convert to specific gravity. . . I calculate OG of 1.070 and FG of 10.13 for 7.45 ABV. 68 to 14 is only 7.06 ABV

I noticed the gravity was off as well, so I took a little Head Hunter & let the carbonation die out for 24 hrs. Then I took a hydrometer reading & came up with a 1.012 FG which would make the OG 1.069. That's what I'm basing my recipe on.

Also, Matt apparently uses two different types of Columbus/CTZ hops. He's got a much higher alpha Columbus for bittering & a lower version for flame out/dry hopping. Plus, the menu at the brewery still lists Cascade as a hop in this beer, but it's completely removed from this recipe.

The last thing I'll say is that I was talking to him on Saturday & he said this recipe will get you close, but there are some trade secrets he left out in Mitch's book. What those are will be the fun part of trying to replicate this beer. I know he uses a good amount of Gypsum to Burtonize his water, but you'd need to know your own water profile before messing with that.

I've got all my ingredients, but I'm probably going to wait until November to brew this so I can keg it once one of my kegs kicks.

I don't have Mitch's book yet. Just waiting on it to come in the mail. I almost always start with RO water when I brew so "burtonizing" water is something I'm comfortable with. IMHO, you should probably be adding gypsum to all your hoppy beers regardless of your water profile (Okay, so there might be a rare instance where someone shouldn't be adding anymore sulfates to their beer). I guess what I'm saying is, after reading the above, which I believe is a direct quote from the book, I'm not surprised that Matt Cole left out some information on this recipe. The numbers on the hops are a bugger to figure out. Then you have to take into account things like which formula the fine people at Fatheads are using to calculate IBU. I used tinseth on this one. If they use rager, my numbers are probably a little high. Actually I usually use Rager but just had to reinstall Beersmith which defaults to Tinseth. I literally just realized this. . . guess I better run those hops numbers again. There are a lot of things that are left out of the process, pitching rates, aeration, mash temp. to name a few. I think we can assume it's mashed low but a lot of that other stuff we are left to do our own best practices. Probably the most significant part is this: Fatheads and Matt Cole are part of HopUnion's hop program, they literally get the best of the best hops, we are left to what we can get or hands on. With Hops like CTZ this is a big deal, CTZ are always great bittering hops but sometimes you can get some that are really lousy for dry hopping (They just don't smell good). I've also heard stories about simcoe being wildly different depending on when it is harvested. And centennials can vary bc they aren't the most disease resistant hop out there. When your brewing a very hop forward beer such as head hunter, all this matters. . . as homebrewers, the best we can do is hope for the best on this front. I will admit I've never come across a hopunion hop that wasn't good though. I'm likely going to brew this sometime at the end of November toward the beginning of December, I literally just brewed a very hop forward beer that uses most of these hops and amarillo.

Hop schedule if you use rager to calculate IBU

43.0 gm Columbus (Tomahawk) [17.70 %] (90 min) Hops 50.9 IBU
12.3 gm Centennial [9.20 %] (45 min) Hops 7.1 IBU
12.3 gm Citra [12.40 %] (45 min) Hops 9.5 IBU
12.3 gm Centennial [9.20 %] (30 min) Hops 4.0 IBU
12.3 gm Citra [12.40 %] (30 min) Hops 5.4 IBU
12.3 gm Centennial [9.20 %] (1 min) Hops 1.3 IBU
43.0 gm Simcoe [13.00 %] (1 min) Hops 6.5 IBU
6.20 gm Columbus (Tomahawk) [17.70 %] (1 min) Hops 1.3 IBU

The Dry hop is the same

You can see how different these numbers are. I am from the school of belief that you do get some bittering out of those flameout additions (mainly depending on the ammount of time your wort sits above 180) and that is why you'll always see my flameout additions at "1 min." I'm honestly not crazy about those Rager numbers. If your a little better in ounces, roughly 28g in an oz. I like the Tinseth numbers much better.

Since I guess replicating this recipe isn't about my beliefs. . . I present, Rager with flameout additions adding no bitterness.

47.40 gm Columbus (Tomahawk) [17.70 %] (90 min) Hops 58.5 IBU
13.50 gm Citra [12.40 %] (45 min) Hops 10.5 IBU
13.50 gm Centennial [9.20 %] (45 min) Hops 7.8 IBU
13.50 gm Centennial [9.20 %] (30 min) Hops 4.4 IBU
13.50 gm Citra [12.40 %] (30 min) Hops 5.9 IBU
47.40 gm Simcoe [13.00 %] (0 min) Hops -
6.80 gm Columbus (Tomahawk) [17.70 %] (0 min) Hops -
13.50 gm Centennial [9.20 %] (0 min) Hops -

Dry hop always the same .2oz/gal (1 oz:5 gal) for each hop

So, I guess it depends on how the folks at fatheads calculate it.

I also posted a recipe for this based on Mitch's book. What is in the book and what is posted on there web site and at the brewery is different.this is what is on the website

HOPS: Columbus, Simcoe, Centennial
MALT: Pale, CaraMalt, C-15, Cara-Pils
http://www.fatheadsbrewing.com/beers.php

Talk to a manager at the brewery and he tells me there is no Citra in this beer, now maybe the recipe has changed and he is not aware.
The recipe I came up with is a bit different as I calculated 10 min for flame out addition. probably should be more as some brewers will whirlpool for 30+ min above 180 (300+ gallons of wort dont cool fast). In my system I am whirlpooling above 180 for at least 15 min.I have also calculated some bitterness from the mash hop I have used Tineseth and slightly rounded my numbers. Im not great at Math so hopefully these are sort of in line

Malt Bill

7 lbs 12.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) 50.5 %
4 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) 26.1 %
14 oz Carahell (13.0 SRM) 5.7 %
14 oz Crystal Malt 40L (40.0 SRM) 5.7 %
12 oz Wheat Flaked Toasted (8.0 SRM) 4.9 %
5 oz Cara-Pils (2.0 SRM) 2.0 %
12.5 oz Corn Sugar 5.1 %

Hops
Mash 7 g Centennial [9.20 %] - 90.0 min 1.4 IBUs

21 g CTZ [17.70 %] - Boil 90.0 min 39.2 IBUs
7 g Citra [12.40 %] - Boil 45.0 min 7.9 IBUs
7 g Centennial [9.20 %] - Boil 45.0 min 5.8 IBUs
7 g Citra [12.40 %] - Boil 30.0 min 6.6 IBUs
7 g Centennial [9.20 %] - Boil 30.0 min 4.9 IBUs
24 g Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min 11.6 IBUs
17 g Centennial [9.20 %] - Boil 10.0 min 5.8 IBUs
4 g Columbus [14.20 %] - Boil 10.0 min 2.1 IBUs

28 g Centennial [9.20 %] - Dry Hop 10.0 Days
28 g Simcoe [12.27 %] - Dry Hop 10.0 Days
28 g Citra [12.40 %] - Dry Hop 10.0 Days
28 g Columbus [14.20 %] - Dry Hop 10.0 Days

Here is the water profile

Ca 163ppm
Mg 8.5ppm
Na 21ppm
SO4 365ppm
Cl 23.5 ppm
HCO3 104ppm

This looks to be an on going challenge I have brewed this recipe but will not dry hop with Citra do not detect it in the Fat head version

I just thought of something on the way home from work listening to Vinnie Cilurzo from Russian River talk about hops on an old Brewing Network podcast...

In Pliny, he uses a high alpha hop extract for his bittering addition. It leaves less hop material in the beer & helps eliminate vegetal flavors that can pop up when using large amounts of hops. It also gives you a clean bitterness.

I'm wondering if this was the trade secret Matt mentioned. Makes sense since the alpha acid for his bittering Columbus addition is so much higher than the other CTZ additions.

I also posted a recipe for this based on Mitch's book. What is in the book and what is posted on there web site and at the brewery is different.this is what is on the website

HOPS: Columbus, Simcoe, Centennial
MALT: Pale, CaraMalt, C-15, Cara-Pils
http://www.fatheadsbrewing.com/beers.php

Talk to a manager at the brewery and he tells me there is no Citra in this beer, now maybe the recipe has changed and he is not aware.
The recipe I came up with is a bit different as I calculated 10 min for flame out addition. probably should be more as some brewers will whirlpool for 30+ min above 180 (300+ gallons of wort dont cool fast). In my system I am whirlpooling above 180 for at least 15 min.I have also calculated some bitterness from the mash hop I have used Tineseth and slightly rounded my numbers. Im not great at Math so hopefully these are sort of in line

Malt Bill

7 lbs 12.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) 50.5 %
4 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) 26.1 %
14 oz Carahell (13.0 SRM) 5.7 %
14 oz Crystal Malt 40L (40.0 SRM) 5.7 %
12 oz Wheat Flaked Toasted (8.0 SRM) 4.9 %
5 oz Cara-Pils (2.0 SRM) 2.0 %
12.5 oz Corn Sugar 5.1 %

Hops
Mash 7 g Centennial [9.20 %] - 90.0 min 1.4 IBUs

21 g CTZ [17.70 %] - Boil 90.0 min 39.2 IBUs
7 g Citra [12.40 %] - Boil 45.0 min 7.9 IBUs
7 g Centennial [9.20 %] - Boil 45.0 min 5.8 IBUs
7 g Citra [12.40 %] - Boil 30.0 min 6.6 IBUs
7 g Centennial [9.20 %] - Boil 30.0 min 4.9 IBUs
24 g Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min 11.6 IBUs
17 g Centennial [9.20 %] - Boil 10.0 min 5.8 IBUs
4 g Columbus [14.20 %] - Boil 10.0 min 2.1 IBUs

28 g Centennial [9.20 %] - Dry Hop 10.0 Days
28 g Simcoe [12.27 %] - Dry Hop 10.0 Days
28 g Citra [12.40 %] - Dry Hop 10.0 Days
28 g Columbus [14.20 %] - Dry Hop 10.0 Days

This looks to be an on going challenge I have brewed this recipe but will not dry hop with Citra do not detect it in the Fat head version

Everything looks a lot like what I have, except I've laid it out in 10 gallon finished beer volume and I missed any information about a mash hop. I'd give it a go. If I could ask Matt Cole one question right now it would have be if the IBU numbers on Head Hunter are calculated or measured. That would take a lot of guess work out of the hop schedule for us. It's hard to say really. I suspect that perhaps Citra never was a part of this recipe since I've heard rumbling from brewer friends that Head Hunter features Simcoe/Centennial. It's my opinion that when you get good examples of Simcoe and Citra that they are similar enough. Perhaps that is where the change comes from. Also, maybe at one point instead of using Centennial they used a blend of Columbus/Cascade (Centennial Type hops, or should I say the idea of them has been around for a long long time, I know a lot of breweries who have used a 30/70 blend). Since that time it is possible that they were able to procure a contract for centennial hops. Lastly, and trust me, just because it is printed on the label or published on a website doesn't make it accurate. I'd believe the information in the book, from the man who brews it before anything else. What do you plan to dry hop with in place of citra?

Awhile ago when Citra was new & just becoming popular, I think Matt did tell me he was experimenting with it in his Hop JuJu...maybe he experimented with it in Head Hunter as well. It's not much Citra & when used, it's mostly for bittering. You get such intense aromatics from Columbus & Simcoe, that the Citra dry hop may not be clearly detectable. It seems to me he's going for unique hop flavors & aromas by blending his hops together for each addition.

Also, I'm sold that he uses hop extract for the bittering addition of Columbus. If you think about it, there's less trub left behind so he'll have a greater final yield that way. With professional breweries, they need to think about the economics involved also. If they can sell an extra X# of beers per batch, it adds up by the end of the year when it's a beer they have on tap pretty much all the time.

I just thought of something on the way home from work listening to Vinnie Cilurzo from Russian River talk about hops on an old Brewing Network podcast...

In Pliny, he uses a high alpha hop extract for his bittering addition. It leaves less hop material in the beer & helps eliminate vegetal flavors that can pop up when using large amounts of hops. It also gives you a clean bitterness.

I'm wondering if this was the trade secret Matt mentioned. Makes sense since the alpha acid for his bittering Columbus addition is so much higher than the other CTZ additions.

Funny you say that I actually used Hopshot (co2 hop extract, beleive it is CTZ) I used a little over 4ml @ 90

What do you plan to dry hop with in place of citra?
I won't replace it with anything maybe just up the rest by 1/4 ounce

I suspect that perhaps Citra never was a part of this recipe since I've heard rumbling from brewer friends that Head Hunter features Simcoe/Centennial.
I agree was just at the brewery Saturday, they had the Headhunter they brewed for the GABF on tap and I didn't detect any Citra, but defiantly Simcoe/Centennial/Columbus with the Columbus and Simcoe more pronounced. My palate is not the greatest so if the Citra is subtle it may be there but I dont think so.

You guys who posted the recipes, what numbers did you use for your hop utilization %? Was that specific to your system or pre-built into the brewing software you used.

Built into beersmith for me. Obviously utilization is, at minimum, somewhat different for everyone. I have no idea how accurate either tinnseth or rager is in my system. In the end it doesn't really matter it's just a reference point. I know I've brewed an "85 IBU" beer before so if I feel like Head Hunter is more or less hoppy, I'll adjust that way. I ran the numbers the few different ways I did so you could choose which of the 2 recipe sounds like it would work better for you.

I want to start working on a clone of this but, after drinking a couple last night, I don't see Mitch Steele's recipe in that beer. I don't get Citra, but can agree with Columbus, centennial, and simcoe...100%. I dont get wheat or that complex grain bill. If it is at an FG of 1.014, I won't use carapils as a homebrewer. The pros are probably not using sugar and are using Dextrin to get the FG *UP* to 1.014. I've got a draft recipe worked up, based more on my pallet than the book recipe. I don't want to share the recipe until I brew it.

Weezy, or others -- has anyone brewed a clone based on CTownBrewer's recipe, or others? I'd like to attempt to brew this beer, because I like it so much, but I'd love to get some feedback on how these clone recipes turned out. Thanks!

I'd go with the recipe in Mitch's book. I don't see any reason a brewer would give an incorrect recipe, since it's the brewer's process that contributes most to the success/failure of a beer, not necessarily the recipe.

I'm friends with the brewer & I'm pretty sure he uses Citra. He didn't in the original recipe, but he's tweeked the recipe as new hops have come out.

The original guess at a recipe from before the IPA book came out was good, but not Head Hunter.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I wouldn't use the book recipe based on what's posted in this thread. I have a fat heads sunshine daydream session ipa, first try, in the fermenter now. THAT beer definitely tastes like what is written on their website. trust the website imho.

The website says pale malt, caramalt, c15, carapils
Hops are cent, simcoe, columbus

Those feel right to my taste buds anyway.

Like I said earlier, if you add carapils, add some sugar to balance it. The pros often need to use dextrin malts to get the FG up on these light malt beers.

I have a draft recipe for headhunter, but I haven't brewed it.

I've been working on a draft recipe for this, more or less following the recipe in the book, but modifying it for my little 5 gallon BIAB system. A couple of questions however:
1. What is the purpose of the maltodextrin? Isn't it redundant with the CaraPils, which is a dextrin malt?
2. Why do the recipes specify a 90-minute boil?
3. For the mash hops, are these added immediately after dough in?
4. Any recommendations regarding mash temperature and time? I'm inclined to mash for 60 minutes at 151F.
Thanks!
- Woodbrews

I haven't had this beer for a few years now, since my parents moved from Pittsburgh to Reading, PA.

I'd love to make this @ home!

Back