whats up with my regulator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kuips

Reaction score
So, I have been using my regulator for over a year now... last week I noticed all my beer were over carbonated - So I checked my regulator and noticed it was at 20psi, I thought I must have forgot to turn it down after force carbing, I turned down the pressure down to 11psi. I check back a few hours later and it was back up to 18psi, turned down, went back up, etc...

What can I do to fix? or is it broken?

Thanks

Do you have a check valve on reg. otherwise co2 in beer is coming out dump relief valve ,may have to do this a few times, and see if it changes sounds overcarbed........my.02

Even if you do have a check valve the rate of off-gassing would not flow enough to actuate the check valve. So yea, the beer is over carbed and when you turned down the pressure on the reg it is not leaking and adding gas to bring it up to 18 psi but the beer is off-gassing to maintain and equilibrium an pressurizing the gauge. I would give the keg a rock and open the pressure relief valve a few times to get some gas out of solution. I'm sure some one will say the is bad for beer but so is the "Crank-n-Shake" method. But it works fast.

Ahh, I thought the regulator showed psi leaving tank, not pressure coming back out... 3 highly over carbed kegs are going to take a while to equalize. I gave two a shake and purged. cheers.

There are 2 gauges, one measures the tank side the other reads the regulated output side. This is the main argument opposing force carbonating in favor of "set it and forget it."
- I do force carb but you have to keep an eye on it -

That gauge will show pressure in the gas line going to the beer and, therefore, the top of the keg. Could be either from the CO2 tank or the keg.

Back