Indoor brewers!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ftlstrings

Reaction score
I'm just getting my brew rig set up inside and have a quickie fer you. I'm in my basement ( all electric) and need a way to keep any spills from spreading to nearby carpet. How do you all do this? I'm thinking of something with a shallow lip like a bigger, rectangular hot water heater pan. Does this make any sense?

that makes sense to me - use a hot water heater pan if you can find one big enough to fit under your rig. Not sure how handy you are or how much you're willing to spend but you could essentially build up a shower base underneath the rig (e.g. use plywood to build an open-top box, line it with a rubber membrane then tile over the rubber membrane)

There are also large drip pans for putting under cars or engine stands when rebuilding engines. They are very shallow with sides only around an inch tall.

I like the kiddie pool idea, except that my wife would kill me (if tripping into my electrics didn't) and my 2 y.o. would throw fits every time he goes into the basement about not swimming!

I will search out these mystical car drip pans...sounds perfect!\

~M~

speaking of car drip pans, they sell ones people put under 4 post lifts to catch any fluids from the car that is sitting up on the lift often above another car. Those are very large and shallow.

You don't need a pan. Just use a dropcloth from HD or Lowe's. I bought the biggest and best quality one they had for like $20. I brew inside (with gas), and I use the dropcloth every time. Without it, my carpet would be screwed.

If you needed something with a lip and don't move your rig then you could build a custom shower liner. Some 2x4s and a shower liner sheet would keep it from running off compared to just using a drop cloth. Tearing would be an issue but it is a pretty cheap repair.

Look up Husky Liners. They're durable rubber with raised edges to keep fluids in, made for auto interiors, but would work very well for containing brewing spills. You could use a shop vac to drain it out after each session, and hose it down every 5 or so batches to get rid of any sticky residue.

TB

You could also fill up some pantyhose (or giant tube socks I guess) with something absorbent, kitty litter or sand. Then just build your own damn dams however large you need. It would take up a lot less space and be more flexible. It even be easy to sew up your own custom tubes.

How about those plastic trays that you set your clothes washing machine on. They are like $15. at HD.

hrrm.. sounds goot too.... I did find some big enough automotive trays on amazon and in a local auto parts place. I will have to check the HD too.

~M~

what about a cookie sheet or 2? how much wort are we talking spilling where you think a kiddie pool sounds like a good idea?

Back