nitro Q

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hammer one

Reaction score
Just picked up a stout tap and would like to know if I can use one of my co2 regulators for beer gas or do I need a nitro regulator?

It will depend on the tank, so make sure you check it first. I didn't and ended up running around town all day returning the nitro regulator I purchased earlier in the day and picking up a CO2 regulator.

I've got a 20lb co2 tank and a 10lb co2 tank. Can I fill the 10lb with beer gas?

I am pretty sure you can fill a CO2 tank with beer gas, since it's not under high pressure. I'd like to know for sure though. Like they said, if you use a CO2 tank, you need a Co2 regulator - if you use a nitrogen tank, you need a nitrogen regulator, because they have different valves.

Hammer,

It's up to your gas supplier. Broward-Nelson...(South Florida) prefers putting Beer Mix (75% N2 - 25% CO2) into CO2 cylinders. But your supplier may be different. I have a Nitrogen Valve on my tank...he just sends it out to get filled. It's not a big deal. I think I paid around $42 for a 55 cu ft cylinder (approx. size of 20# CO2 cylinder)...

YES!! A primary regulator should be able to handle input pressures up to 2000 psi. So It's more of a matter of what connection your tank has. You can use a standard CO2 primary on a CO2 tank with Beer Mix in it...no problem. If you wind up getting a Nitrogen cylinder...you can STILL use your CO2 reg with an adapter... ON SALE!!

Co2 Regulator to Nitrogen Tank Adapter | BeverageFactory.com

I personally would use the 20# tank for Beer Mix. At 1800 psi...or whatever they'll fill the tank to...there's probably around 50 cu ft of Nitrogen blend in the tank. If you use the 10# tank you'll be getting half as much gas...and I bet the price is MORE than half the price. Your 10# CO2 tank will hold plenty of cu ft of CO2 because it will be filled 2/3rd's with Liquid CO2... Just me...

Enjoy the Stout! I love my Stout Faucet and Beer Mix Gas... I can't believe I went without it for so long.

I just talked to Airgas thats where I get my refills. They have a 40 cubic ft for $14.00 they cant fill my 10lb tank but I can trade it in on the beer gas tank. The larger tank with beer gas will cost $74.00 That seems like a pretty good deal. I'll be sure that my co2 regulator will fit.

They'll either use the CGA320 valve or the CGA580.

The CGA320 is for CO2 so your reg is ready to go.

The CGA580 is for Inert Gas (Nitrogen, Helium, Argon). You can do one of two things. Change out the stem on your regulator with a Left Hand Thread CGA580 stem. Or use an Adapter. Both are easy fixes, if that's what Airgas is using. They probably have the parts in thier store.

Chuggs, Thanks for the info! I'll take my regulator with when I go P/U the beer gas. I've been looking forward to having a stout tap for a long time.

Latest posts

Back