Red Ale & Cinnamon?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marius

Reaction score
Do you think a bit of Cinnamon would be nice in a Red Ale?

I don't know much about this style, and I plan to brew this beer next saturday. I was wondering what could I experiment with and thought about spices.

Has anyone tryed a Cinnamon-Red-Ale?

Thanks and greetings

Sounds Christmasy... go for it!
Just watch out for that damn cinnamon extract, it'll make your beer bitter and NOT cinnamon if you're not careful. Stick to the sticks.

Thanks ksocia,

I'll brew it this Saturday, just one stick of cinnamon in secondary.

Let's see how it turns.

That doesn't sound like much.. although I have absolutely no experience w/cinnamon.

It's not much, but then the OP can taste and add more if desired. I like a nicely spiced beer, like a good pumpkin ale, but overly spiced beers just make me sad. That one stick may give a subtle background spice that would blend nicely with the maltiness of ale.

That one stick may give a subtle background spice that would blend nicely with the maltiness of ale.
:mug:

That's the idea elkdog, just that "subtle background", I hope that it doesn't get harder than that. One stick one week in the fermenter (after fermentation has finished).

Does anybody know if Cinnamon is used in this irish style? I heard something about it but I had many homebrews that day. :tank:

so where is this in the process? I'm hoping to make a beer to drink while watching the New York Rangers games and i think a cinnamon red ale would have the rangers' spirit (a potential name) and could be good. You brewing this AG or extract? Any details for your recipe and a taste report (if it's far along enough)

Ahhh...by happenstance i pulled this thread from the HBT nether and this occured 3 years ago and 6 days and not just 6 days. So any memories would get me started in the right direction :mug:

Back