When to Take Hydrometer Reading!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shot0rum247

Reaction score
So my dunkel has been in the primary for 3 days now, and I've had constant bubbles through the airlock for 2 days now. When can I crack the lid off and stick my wine thief down there for a reading/taste?

If you are careful with your sanitizing you can take a sample at any time but I generally wait until signs of fermentation have slowed a little. if you see any krausen (foam) I would wait until that falls back in to the beer.

yeah i am using a bucket so its hard to tell about the krausen but the airlock is still pretty active, I guess i'll have to wait another 2 days or so without a taste :-(.

PATIENCE!

you need to wait bud. There is no reason to sample it until fermentation has ended.

What was the OG? You may need to wait 10 days (or longer) before ferementation ends. sampling any sooner won't really give you any idea of the final flavor because there will be way too much sugar left in the wort/beer.

Brewing requires equal parts of three things: knowledge, creativity, and PATIENCE. books and recipes can safeguard you on the first two, so don't screw it up by ignoring #3 ;)

Damn, you've been here longer than I have and only have 15 posts? You need to get crackin!

The OG was 1.60. I know...you guys are right, it just calls out to me to go and drink it :)

Yeah, I know what you mean. I have a batch in primary that smells DELICIOUS with a capital "tasty!" However, if there's any activity at all, it's pretty much useless to take a reading because you know it isn't done yet. This is a hobby that definitely teaches patience. (I'm also a woodworker, so I'm getting that lesson on more than one front!)

Oh man, where's Revvy and his bold type? :D

Give it a minimum of 7 days in primary. Having said that, I take hydrometer readings for OG and one when I rack to keg (usually at least 3 weeks after brewing). It's pretty rare that I'll take one to tell me when to go to secondary. I generally just wait 10 to 14 days and I know it's done.

I would be brewing another batch right now. If you keep at it then there will be no lag time waiting for beer to ferment and condition and drinking.

You can not rush good beer!:mug:

Back