Help setting up beersmith equipment profile

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimelessCynic

Reaction score
Can someone please help me with setting up my equipment profile.

My OG Is always off. For example i brewed a 1.045 tonight and beersmith said it should have been a 1.050

My actual mash effeciency is consistently around 85% I usually pour about 5.7 gallons of wort into my fermenter. My boil volume is usually 7.2 gallons.

Thanks

under the design tab, change your brewhouse efficiency up/down until the estimated efficiency and mash efficiency on the mash tab match. Then change the brewhouse efficiency under the equipment profile to that number.

I just spent the last few hours trying to figure out my similar issue. What I discovered is that due to the boil-off variable/rate, it was causing my boil volume to be to high. The default setting isn't right for my equipment, so I kept missing my target gravity.

I suggest you figure out what boil-off value is suitable for your equipment and plug in the right value. You'll also want figure out the other metrics like mash-tun dead space etc. This all plays into what BeerSmith calculates as your starting boil volume.

Basically, I think you're using to much water, like me.

You'll need to figure out how much water you lose in a 1 hour boil. Also figure out how much dead space is in your mash-tun.

I used the equipment wizard and it was helpful,

Good luck

Back