Using Corn?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GABrewboy

Reaction score
When using the corn flakes for making a cream ale, I assume you mash this with all the other grains is this correct? I ask because they were sold in a different bag as all my other grains for this brew were mixed together, except the corn flakes.......:D

Thanks

I've only used corn a couple times and I've added it straight to the mash. Some forms of corn need to be cooked, but flaked corn should be ready to go. Maybe it's in a seperate bag because some people like to put the corn and rye flakes on the top of the other grains to reduce clogging.

GABrewboy said:
When using the corn flakes for making a cream ale, I assume you mash this with all the other grains is this correct? I ask because they were sold in a different bag as all my other grains for this brew were mixed together, except the corn flakes.......:D

Thanks

Yep, mix it right in unless it consists of more than 50% of the mash. If it is more than 50% (yuck) then add a pound of rice hulls as well, which will help it flow during the sparge.

david_42 said:
Maybe it's in a seperate bag because some people like to put the corn and rye flakes on the top of the other grains to reduce clogging.

Not that I'm using corn, but I believe it would need to be mixed with the other grains in order to be mashed properly. Using adjuncts like corn requires the enzymes of the malt to break down the starches found in the corn.

Kai

Thanks so much everyone!!! I just wasn't sure on the corn since this will be my first go at a cream ale. This is my grain bill:

7 lb. American 2-row
4 oz. German Vienna
4 oz. American crystal 20L
1 lb. Flaked corn

GABrewboy said:
Thanks so much everyone!!! I just wasn't sure on the corn since this will be my first go at a cream ale. This is my grain bill:

7 lb. American 2-row
4 oz. German Vienna
4 oz. American crystal 20L
1 lb. Flaked corn

Awww...come on! Make it a damn cream ale! 2 lbs. of corn!!!!!!! :D

Well, you know my first recipe I came up with did have 2lbs of corn, but they only had one bag at the local HBS. So I revised it to 1lb.....I think 2lbs would be a little overbearing though don't you?

Just like to add that only 1lb. won't make a big difference to the flavor. However, if thats all you have than use it. I like to experiment with beer recipes and I have used 25% corn in some of my brews. For instance, I am brewing a Kentucky Common tomorrow and will be doing a cereal mash of 4lb. canned corn and 1lb. of pale 2 row then adding to my main mash to raise temp. to sach.rest temp. I can assume that the canned corn has been processed (cooked) but I am goin for the cereal mash anyhow. I think corn is a great addition to beer...... Cheers, Greg

I have brewed a couple of Cream Ales and used only one pound of corn.
I have been thinking of increasing it the next time but what I have brewed so far has been real good. ( as far as Cream Ales go)
And I'm with the other guys on the mash thing that is where it belongs.

Boo Boo , is there a difference between corn and Maise?? Or are you native american??
Just curious.
BTW I took a sample of my latest Cream Ale to my local Brewers club meeting lastnight and everyone there said it was a very good beer, I know, no big deal but when your peers appreciate what you have done it's a good feeling.
Not bragging here, my head is still the same size it was before.
I mention it to validate an earlier post about using only one pound of cracked corn in my beer. BTW it was a fairly low OG beer at around 1.043

I'm not sure I'd use canned corn as there may be something in the can besides corn that may affect the flavor, ie; salt etc. Corn other than flaked do need to have a cereal mash done to have it ready to be used in the mash.

Ah, didn't see that post. Corn and maise are the same just different names and yes I'm Metis from the Labrador side. Yep, a good feeling to have a handcrafted beer appreciated by someone other than family.

I agree Boo Boo,I'm not so sure about the "canned corn thing",
I would think you'd be much better off using raw dried corn either flaked or coarsely ground , and add it to the mash.
I don't think there is any monetary benefit in using cooked corn from a can.
You can probably use cracked corn from a feed store ( sold as bird food) and it is like real cheep, cheep ( pun intended).

On a previous post, I said I have used canned corn in my mash. I made sure that the only ingredients were corn and water but usually I use corn meal. My most recent batch is a Kentucky Common which I used the canned corn and I hope it turns out good. One thing I noticed was that there was no sparge problem. I did puree the corn in a blender before the cereal mash. The beer is in primary now and I will post my results (good or bad) later. Cheers, Greg

Good ideal Boo Boo, but I just had to learn how to cereal mash as part of my brewing education. I had spent 8 hours start to finish on that batch when it should have been more like 6 hours. I`ll still post my results later.
Cheers, Greg

I buy a feed from IFA that I feed the welfare mallards(ducks) in the canal in my back yard. The muskrats and pheasants love it too. It consists of rolled corn and barley with molasses. The corn looks like rolled flakes as does the barley. The barley is flattened out and looks about the size of sunflower kernals. In the interest of science I just chewed one of each. It is not sweet so I'm thinking there isn't a lot of molasses in it. A 60 lb sack is about $7.00

Wort*hog said:
I buy a feed from IFA that I feed the welfare mallards(ducks) in the canal in my back yard. The muskrats and pheasants love it too. It consists of rolled corn and barley with molasses. The corn looks like rolled flakes as does the barley. The barley is flattened out and looks about the size of sunflower kernals. In the interest of science I just chewed one of each. It is not sweet so I'm thinking there isn't a lot of molasses in it. A 60 lb sack is about $7.00
So did you make a brew? Come on, don't wimp out...

knipknup said:
So did you make a brew? Come on, don't wimp out...
Well?.. I was thinking...7 lbs american 2row 4 lbs duck food. Northern brewers hops and spring it on Bud lovers. But dont tell nobody!! You are sworn to secrecy!:mug:

Wort*hog said:
Well?.. I was thinking...7 lbs american 2row 4 lbs duck food. Northern brewers hops and spring it on Bud lovers. But dont tell nobody!! You are sworn to secrecy!:mug:

I won't tell if you promise one thing- you have to have the word "duck" in the title of the brew! You know, like "mighty duck ale" or "Quacker's Cracked Ale" or something equally ridiculous.

Otherwise, I'm telling. :D

Yooper Chick said:
I won't tell if you promise one thing- you have to have the word "duck" in the title of the brew! You know, like "mighty duck ale" or "Quacker's Cracked Ale" or something equally ridiculous.

Otherwise, I'm telling. :D
Iwas thinking CHEAP! like Squeeze the Buffalo off a nickle cheap. Buffalo Squeeze Blonde Ale?:rockin:

OK I Dood it.

7 lbs Amer 2 row
4 lbs duck food
1oz northern brewer @50min
1/2 oz fuggles @15 min
1/2 oz fuggles @1min
Coopers ale yeast

LHBS wizzard calculated 1.036 at 5 gals with the 2row. With the duck chow I got 1.050 @ 70 degress using a single infussion mash. LHBS wizzard said he would try it if I try it first. Under $12:tank:

i just mashed a recipe with flaked corn Sun. really new(it will become obvious) at this so i ran it through the mill with the base grains. uhhh... you don't want to do that. sticks rather badly. rice hulls? oh sure, NOW i know about them! my son gave up on me and said he would look to see if the carboy was full or empty when he got up. it was full but not something i would want to do again
WT

Wort*hog said:
OK I Dood it.

7 lbs Amer 2 row
4 lbs duck food
1oz northern brewer @50min
1/2 oz fuggles @15 min
1/2 oz fuggles @1min
Coopers ale yeast

LHBS wizzard calculated 1.036 at 5 gals with the 2row. With the duck chow I got 1.050 @ 70 degress using a single infussion mash. LHBS wizzard said he would try it if I try it first. Under $12:tank:

Did it have a sort-of grayish greenish color?

Wort*hog said:
orfy this is what you missed.

knipknup, The color was a tan to light carmel.

eviltwinofjoni said:
grrrrr there's a feed store just down the street from me and now I want to try this too!
It's bubbling away as we speak. I'll PM you as soon as it's ready.

Dutch
Uncle
Coors
Klone

Sweet, can't wait for it to be done. There's some Oregon Ducks fans across the stree I could make a batch for... heheheheh

Back