Double IPA Hop Juice Imperial IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to warn anyone brewing this beer. My entire house smelled like a hop garden for about 3 days after brewing this. Needless to say its fermenting nicely now. :cross:

This recipe looks amazing to me! But im a little worried about this. I might need to tell the gf to go stay at her moms for a couple days ;)

Quick question: how long for the steep?

slow6i said:
This recipe looks amazing to me! But im a little worried about this. I might need to tell the gf to go stay at her moms for a couple days ;)

Quick question: how long for the steep?

I always steep my grains for 30 min. It's been awhile since I brewed this but I would throw the hops in after the grain bag is removed, the dme is mixed in, and you are heating the worth up.

You probably know more than me but I always try and boil as much as I can to improve hop utilization. I think my starting boil volume was somewhere around 5 gal which ended up around 4 by the time I got it in the fermentor

Brewed this 9 days ago and just racked to the secondary last night. The krausen was thick at the top and it smelled amazing. My only worry is that it is very cloudy, but I am hoping it will settle and clear up while in the carboy. My starting gravity was 1.092. I cannot wait to drink this one!

BullGator said:
You probably know more than me but I always try and boil as much as I can to improve hop utilization. I think my starting boil volume was somewhere around 5 gal which ended up around 4 by the time I got it in the fermentor

We put the recipe into Beersmith and came up with 132 IBU with a 4 gallon boil. SG was 1.077

Transferred to secondary last week. When I opened the bucket I realized that my friend who had topped it off had put way too much water in it. It was sitting at about the 6.5 gallon mark. This was concerning because I was worried it would taste watered down. This was not the case. It was completely drinkable, outside of not being carbonated and warm, smelled terrific and was gorgeous in color. I was impressed at how well the Irish moss worked (it was my first time).

After the 5 gallons were racked, I decided to throw half a gallon into a growler that I had laying around with a tablespoon or so of table sugar, just to see how things would go. I mean, it would have been wasted anyways. I'll probably crack that open in a few days and drink it while I bottle the rest of the batch.

Bottling this tonight. As you may have read, I changed some of the hops. This beer smells incredible but I'm not crazy about the taste. If you can pick out the grapefruit taste found in some hops then imagine that taste x1000. This beer is tasting exactly like a bite of bitter grapefruit. Very strange. I'm hoping that once it's carbonated some of that taste will be masked. We'll see.

Bottling this tonight. As you may have read, I changed some of the hops. This beer smells incredible but I'm not crazy about the taste. If you can pick out the grapefruit taste found in some hops then imagine that taste x1000. This beer is tasting exactly like a bite of bitter grapefruit. Very strange. I'm hoping that once it's carbonated some of that taste will be masked. We'll see.

Have things settled down and the grapefruit taste mellowed?

I couldn't help but order the ingredients the second I saw this one. I had some problems when I saw that a few people were talking about how the OG, IBU's, and ABV were not working out for the recipe that was originally posted. I found though, that they match up pretty well if you change your pre-boil to 3.9 gallons then change it from an extract to a partial mash in beersmith. I am not really sure that spraging your specialty grains will really affect your OG all that much. I tried to look around on other threads about it, but there was no real answer. I think the best solution would be to bump the LME up to 9#. Unfortunately I only ordered 8#, and because I am stationed in japan and it takes forever for me to get supplies via the internet I think that I will just try and sparge the caramel/crystal and see what happens. What do you guys think? I mean worst that will happen my OG will drop to 1.075 from 1.079, my ABV will go from 8.1% to 7.7%, and my IBU's will shoot from 120.2 to 125.1.

I brewed this yesterday, i did a 10 gallon batch and used 10 pounds of pilsen light DME, 7 pounds of golden light DME and 2 pounds carmal/crystal grain. I used all the same hops except instead of the willimettes i went with cascade. My OG was 1.072 which was not a surprising to me because when i put it in my demijohn it was around the 11 gallon mark so that would account for my OG being a little lower. Still i am excited to see how this comes out. The hops smelled soo good!

Brewed this recently. Primary fermenter with the dry hops for 2 weeks, then racked to a secondary. Kegged after another 10 days. OG 1.075ish and FG 1.012. ~7% ABV. Excellent beer. Definitely recommend others brewing this!

Thanks for the recipe!:mug:

I'm going to make this as my first IPA as I love insanely hoppy delicious beer! A few questions though: after reading the thread, I'm still a bit confused as to the hop additions... Would this be correct?
As water is heating - 0.5oz Warrior
@ 60 min left in boil - 1oz Warrior, 1oz Chinook
@ 45 min left in boil - 1oz Chinook, 0.5oz Warrior
@ 30 min left in boil - 1oz Centennial
@ 10 min left in boil - 0.5oz Centennial, 1oz Williamette
Dry hop for 13 days - 0.5oz Centennial, 1oz Williamette

Also, did you use pellet or whole hops?

I'm going to make this as my first IPA as I love insanely hoppy delicious beer! A few questions though: after reading the thread, I'm still a bit confused as to the hop additions... Would this be correct?
As water is heating - 0.5oz Warrior
@ 60 min left in boil - 1oz Warrior, 1oz Chinook
@ 45 min left in boil - 1oz Chinook, 0.5oz Warrior
@ 30 min left in boil - 1oz Centennial
@ 10 min left in boil - 0.5oz Centennial, 1oz Williamette
Dry hop for 13 days - 0.5oz Centennial, 1oz Williamette

Also, did you use pellet or whole hops?

0.50 oz Warrior [15.00%] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 14.5 IBU
1.00 ozWarrior [15.00%] (60 min) Hops 29.1 IBU
1.00 oz Chinook [13.00%] (60 min) Hops 25.2 IBU
1.00 oz Chinook [13.00%] (45 min) Hops 23.1 IBU
0.50 oz Warrior [15.00%] (45 min) Hops 13.3 IBU
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00%] (30 min) Hops 14.9 IBU
0.50 oz Centennial [10.00%] (10 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops
1.00 oz Williamette [5.50%] (10 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops
0.50 oz Centennial [10.00%] (Dry Hop 13days) Hops
1.00 oz Williamette [5.50%] (Dry Hop 13days) Hops

I would def use pellet hops except for dry hopping. I used mostly whole hops for this myself and it was the most trub i have ever seen!!! Ended up being a 4 gallon batch!! Bout to try mine in about 2 more weeks. Can't wait for this one!!

Started this tonight! I'm really excited for it, however, did anyone else experience massive foaming after putting the wort in the fermenter? I'm still wondering if there was extra sanitizer or what the heck happened!?

There was so much foam that it came right out of the fermenter and i had to scoop a bunch out, and the wort was sitting a little below the normal 5gallon marker!

It was so foamy I couldn't read my hydrometer!

Anyone else get this?

RolandSA said:
Started this tonight! I'm really excited for it, however, did anyone else experience massive foaming after putting the wort in the fermenter? I'm still wondering if there was extra sanitizer or what the heck happened!?

There was so much foam that it came right out of the fermenter and i had to scoop a bunch out, and the wort was sitting a little below the normal 5gallon marker!

Anyone else get this?

Def sounds like sanitizer still in the fermenter. After 3 weeks of conditioning just tapped this last night and whoa. This brew is no joke. Named accordingly!!!!

Thanks a lot for the recipe, BarleyWater!! Just brewed this one today. It smells fantastic. First time that I brewed in the cold. The snow on the ground made for cooling the pot quickly. Then I threw in my first blow-off tube, since its my first big beer.

Lotsa firsts going on in this brew. Thanks again for the recipe.

I'm tinkering around with an uber imperial IPA, and I was wondering, did anyone use a starter for this? And if so did it get the results you wanted? I'm looking at a yeast pitching rate calculator and it's saying that I'd need like 5 vials of White Labs and 4 liters of starter and that seems a little insane.

How much water should I start with for this recipe? I have a 5 gal brew kettle and will be increasing to 9lbs of DME

Anyone else get this?

Brewed this last weekend and I had the same issue (or non-issue). Some of it was StarSan foam, but the wort was really foamy too, especially because I racked it through a strainer funnel into my better bottle. I've heard that means it's well-aerated and just pitched my 2L starter into the foam. About 12 hours later I had nuclear-powered fermentation going. After that, there was a constant stream of krausen through my blowoff tube for the next 24 hours.

All's looking good now. Plan to add the dry hop three weeks in, and then bottle after week four.

Btw, subbed out the williamette for cascade hops, and used 11lbs of LME. My OG ended up at 1.07. Anyone get good results with different hops?

I used this recipe as a guideline, changed out the warrior for cascade, changed out the 10 minute Willamette addition for cascade, and changed the dry hop to citra. It's going to be super citrusy iipa, but it's exactly what I wanted. Also changed it to 9# LDME and added a little roasted grain for color.
All pellet hops except for when I dry hop it. Probably dry hop after 4 weeks for about 10 days.
12 hours after pitching the us-05 it has crazy fermentation going!!!

IMAG0223_BURST002_zps0010672e.jpg

Bottled my batch 2.5 two weeks ago and it came out excellent. It's getting great reviews from others and continues to improve every time I try it. Definitely on the bitter end of the spectrum as expected, but still very drinkable... perhaps a little too drinkable. :drunk::rockin: Would definitely brew this recipe again, maybe with a slight hop variation just to mix things up.

photo.JPG

forgive the noob question but i'm confused on the schedule... are you steeping the hops that are hilighted with the crystal malt?

1.00 oz Warrior [15.00%] (60 min) Hops 29.1 IBU

forgive the noob question but i'm confused on the schedule... are you steeping the hops that are hilighted with the crystal malt?

1.00 oz Warrior [15.00%] (60 min) Hops 29.1 IBU

Not really sure what that meant, though it was just a hop addition with 10 minutes left for me.

Bottled my batch 2.5 two weeks ago and it came out excellent. It's getting great reviews from others and continues to improve every time I try it. Definitely on the bitter end of the spectrum as expected, but still very drinkable... perhaps a little too drinkable. :drunk::rockin: Would definitely brew this recipe again, maybe with a slight hop variation just to mix things up.

That's why I substituted the warrior for cascade, not quite as bitter

The 10 min hop steep is actually a flame out addition. You throw the hops in at the end of your boil just before you start to cool down the wort.

The 10 min hop steep is actually a flame out addition. You throw the hops in at the end of your boil just before you start to cool down the wort.

actually it looks like it's pre-boil....

The "First Wort Hops" were added as the water was being heated to a boil after steeping the specialty grains.

Looks like an extract first wort try which i've never done....will be interested in how this comes out....trying it this weekend.

Guys.

This recipe looks stellar, I am thinking about subbing the normal 2-row for the NB Maris Otter LME. A little over 6lbs. What do y'all think?

I can't wait to get all of these ingredients and get started!

Would there be any potential problems with using a dry yeast, either pitching it in dry or rehydrating, as opposed to using a liquid starter?

I'm brewing this as we speak with the following modifications to put a personal twist on this recipe:

Tried a small partial mash. Took people's advice and added an extra pound of DME. Didn't have Warrior so I subbed Nugget. Didn't have Willamette so I subbed Fuggles. Added 0.5oz Chinook and 0.5oz Nugget to the dry hop. Did a 3 gallon batch so scaled down ingredients to the following:

5.4lbs Pilsen DME
0.6lbs Pale 2-Row
0.6lbs Caramel 60

0.3oz Nugget (FWH)
0.6oz Nugget (60 mins)
0.6oz Chinook (60 mins)
0.3oz Nugget (45 mins)
0.6oz Chinook (45 mins)
0.6oz Centennial (30 mins)
0.3oz Centennial (Whirlpool for 20 mins)
0.6oz Fuggles (Whirlpool for 20 mins)

0.3oz Centennial (Dry hop in secondary for 13 days)
0.6oz Fuggles (Dry hop in secondary for 13 days)
0.3oz Chinook (Dry hop in secondary for 13 days)
0.3oz Nugget (Dry hop in secondary for 13 days)

Instructions:

Mash in 1 gal water at 158 for 45 minutes:
0.6lbs Pale 2-Row
0.6lbs Caramel 60

Sparge with 1 gal water at 160 for 10 minutes.

Add 1.75 gal water for total volume of ~3 gal (assuming .25 gal absorbed by grains). Added 0.3oz Nugget. Bring to boil.

Add ~2lbs of DME at beginning of boil, remainder with 10 minutes remaining in boil.

Follow hop additions as above. Note: Whirlpool hops are added after flame out once a whirlpool has been started in the wort by stirring the wort with your spoon in a circular motion. Let sit for 20 minutes, then cool.

Racked to primary on top of a yeast cake from a previous batch (Wyeast 1272 American Ale II).

I plan on adding dry hops to secondary in 10 days or perhaps sooner if FG is reached quicker than that. I will keep everyone updated on this beer's progress. It's my first DIPA and second partial mash so we'll how it goes. Thanks to BarleyWater for the recipe!

Hadn't had a good hop bomb for a while so my partner and I brewed the original recipe on this thread about over a month ago. Primary for 2 weeks(smelled great!), secondary for a couple weeks with significant dry hop additions, then kegged and bottled. We've brewed for a while and don't remember ever adding close to this much hops in a recipe.

Lo and behold, we got a great tasting beer BUT ALMOST NO HOPPINESS TO IT!!! The dates on the hops were all current. Anyone else experience a case like this?

We're flummoxed. Probably need another beer to help contemplate the situation.

Back